1 female and 2 drakes in the winter

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MWAFORD, Nov 2, 2013.

1. MWAFORD

MWAFORD Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2013
    Please help! I had 2 females and 2 drake indian runners. One of my female runners was just killed by an owl and now I only have 1 female left and the 2 drakes. They all slept together at night but now I'm worried about keeping the 1 female in with the 2 males. Do you think she will be ok for the winter or do I need to get another female ASAP? They have all been getting along recently and the males stopped trying to mate with them about a month ago. I have no idea when Indian Runner mating season is.

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I think I would look for a female. She could be another breed too, not necessarily a runner. Or you could rehome a drake. I don't think my drakes seem very active over the winter, but I understand your concerns about the numbers and I think I'd feel the same.

3. MWAFORD

MWAFORD Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2013
    Thank you. I have been looking for another female but I guess winter time is a bad time to sell and buy ducks because I'm not having much luck.

4. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    I am in the same boat. I have 4 females and five males. I cannot seem to find any girls. Mine are doing fine but I want more girls to spread the love around. Good luck finding a replacement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by