1 ft, need a ramp?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by farmerChef, Jan 19, 2011.

1. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    My coop i'm building is 1 foot off the ground, and I was wondering if I needed to build a ramp. I've seen them jump up 2 ft for treats and to get on the roost, so I don't think they'd have a hard time jumping. Should I build a ramp or not?

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    My coop is about the same height off the ground. I put a medium sized horse feeder in front of the pop door and they do like to use that. I would think that it really isn't needed.

3. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    yup. A simple 3'-4' long board, rough surface, should do just fine. 6' cedar fence boards are $2 or less.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:I wouldn't bother, as long as the area they're jumping up to is not slippery.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I'd think they should be fine [​IMG]

6. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    here's a pic of my almost finished coop. still have to add a board in front of the nests, add shingles, and maybe a ramp.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Adorable coop! A ramp isn't necessary, but if you have chicks some day, they might like a ramp to follow Mom in and out of the coop till they get bigger.

8. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Hmmm.... after seeing the pictures - your entryway is so small, you probably do need to add a ramp. They don't always have the best aim jumping!

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh, gee, yes that is a rather tiny opening, what is it, maybe 7x10? You may want to enlarge it, unless these are bantams. If you do not want to enlarge it, you might just attach a little landing platform on the outside, just a 6x12" type shelf would be *ample*, you could go with less if need be.

Pat

10. Doormantnt

Doormantnt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    The hole may be to tight for "standard" breeds. I would enlarge it and put a cinder block on the ground in front. A ramp starting that low would be hard to remember is there. I know I would turn the corner and trip over it. I would just go with a platform bout half way up, or use a block.

TNT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by