1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 Hatched, Pipped, Zipped & Fluffed (help please)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LittleLakesFarm, Jun 8, 2017.

1. LittleLakesFarm

LittleLakesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2013
    I have a Brinsea Maxi ii Advance & this is my first time using it. One duck has hatched & is all fluffed up. It is day 28. He/she appears to be about 24 hours ahead of the rest of the eggs (the others have only just now externally pipped). Is it okay to leave him/her in the incubator for another 24-48 hours while the others finish hatching? I don't want to open the lid but does he/she need to come out or can he/she stay in there at least until all the eggs have all zipped? Is it too hot in there for one who is ready for the brooder? Does he/she need a drink? How long can he/she safely stay in there? He/she seems ready to come out now but I don't want to open the lid.?!?!?! :confused:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

They can stay in the incubator an extra 24 hours after getting fluffed up

Hybridchucks and LittleLakesFarm like this.
  3. LittleLakesFarm

Jun 15, 2013
    What if the other eggs have not zipped by tomorrow at this time (24 hours from now), do I need to risk opening the lid to take him/her out even then? The other ducks have externally pipped but seem to be very slow. I am worried about the dreaded "shrink wrap". :/

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  4. Poultry parent

You can take him out. Just don't open it more, or longer than you have to.

What really messes with eggs is repeated opening

LittleLakesFarm likes this.
  5. LittleLakesFarm

Jun 15, 2013
    Is it normal for 1 to hatch 24 hours before the rest of the eggs? It seems as though one area of my incubator is a hair warmer than the rest of it. Is this normal?

6. Poultry parent

Incubators often have warm spots.

Eggs hatch at different rates depending on the temp they incubated at. So it's normal to have some that hatch earlier and some that hatch layer

7. LittleLakesFarm

Jun 15, 2013
    Thank you so much for your quick response & helpful info. It has eased my mind. I can go to sleep for the night now! Cheers & thanks again! :love:hugs

8. Poultry parent

You're welcome!

Worrying during a hatch is so stressful. I'm glad I could be of help!

9. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Overrun With Chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    you really DONT need to open...she will be absolutely fine for 24 hours.....dont worry about it.. xxx

10. LittleLakesFarm

Jun 15, 2013
    It has been 18 hours since he/she hatched & another duck has hatched now. The first one keeps pecking the younger one. :rolleyes: I feel like I need to take the older one out but I don't know?!?!? :barnie He/she seems bored/antsy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by