1 hawk, 5 hawks but 16 hawks!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Hiram, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Hiram

Hiram Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    This weekend I had 16 or more hawks circling over head. I've never seen anything like this neither had my father. It was like a horror movie. How can so many come together at once. Has anyone experienced this before?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    The most I've seen is five! And believe me, my flock was quiet and still as a stone. They were scared! I can't imagine that many hawks!

One year, we did have soooo many turkey vultures! It was incredible! I walked my little dog, and there were 13 in a tree by the roadside. My dog was afraid--those birds were bigger then he was. They were after a dead varmit by the road side though.

I hope those hawks leave your area. I'd lock the flock up for a few days.....

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Are you sure they were hawks? Many large birds can be mistaken for hawks. Also it's very very rare for that many hawks to be traveling together.

4. Hiram

Hiram Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Right. We knew that this was a strange thing to happen!!! We live in the burbs bordering a lake/nature preserve. And yes they were all hawks. We got out the binoculars. There were big ones and little ones. I believe a large flock of ducks have made to the lake on their fly through to or from florida. This may be the cause of the increase in hawks. Also we discussed the unusual amount of squirrels this years as a possible cause. Oh there wasn't another bird flying or chirping during this event. I call it an event because it was like the X files.

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]I found my farm in the path of the broad shouldered hawk migration in 2009 it scared the bejesus outa me for a week they came threw.
    We think the last hurrican messed up their regular path and they had taken a different path.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the mess up still trying to work threw the new apps here.

6. chigger bait

chigger bait Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Jonesborough, Tennessee
    I would hate to be a jay bird flying through the middle of that.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A 'kettle' of hawks - very common during migration.

8. Hiram

Hiram Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Zazouse that bottom photo is what we saw. It was amazingly scary because these birds seem to have little fear of humans. They were flying low and sitting in trees. I fear for any little dog that got out of the house. Oh one was at least 3 and a half feet tall.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    3.5' tall is an eagle, not a hawk.

10. AllenInTampa

AllenInTampa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2012
    Hawks are migrating right now. At least they are in Central Fla. I am seeing a TON of them every day here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by