1 hawk, one freshly dead rooster

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chickeygirl, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Chickeygirl

Chickeygirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    Rather than let his sacrifice go to waste, is it ok to eat him? The hawk had JUST killed it, but I think he was a bit bigger than the hawk judged him to be, and it flew off as I rounded the corner to the field. I was about to go give them all treats ><

I went ahead and cut so he'd finish bleeding out - but he didn't bleed out much, so I'm a lil leery.

Thanks.

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Quote:Aww I'm sorry.. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I dont know about the meat but I'll bump u up so some one else can answer your question.

3. Chickeygirl

Sep 25, 2011
    Tks for the bump. I'm just going to bury him - he's been a half hour dead, and I've been checking back - but I'd like an answer if anyone can say anyway. This kinda sucks today - I had a trio of Royal Palm Turkeys - one hen disappeared, and the tom went the next day - and it looks like a human predator rather than animal. Cleanly removed head (like sharp knife cut it) and just his breast gone. And then I lose my only langshan roo today. I'm depressed. *sigh*

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Quote:I hope you feel better. I'm sure it's awful loosing them. And rite in time for the holidays. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    He'll be fine to eat. He's bled out and gutted. He'll be fine for a while.

6. Chickeygirl

Sep 25, 2011
    Thanks Rooster [​IMG] Next time. We just buried him. I learned a few things tho - I can do what is needful, and plucking chickens is a bear [​IMG]

On the turkeys - I'm sure someone will be enjoying them for the Holiday. I can't say I don't hope they choke on them...so I won't. They were show turkeys - I have 3 babies from the first clutch (I suck at eggs), so there is Oscar, Gabby, Trixie, and the remaining hen from the trio.

7. comptonsgonecountry

comptonsgonecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    We had a hawk attack two days ago and the darn thing took off when it saw me coming. I had to finish what the hawk started because my hen was twitching and bleeding out.

Instead of disposing the meat, I butchered her myself and put her in the freezer. I cooked the meat first and shredded it to use in a casserole hoping the kids wont ask if this was our bird.

8. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    Hawk attack, would be fine, but coon, fox, possum etc.. id be a little weary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by