1 hen in my flock is sneezing but no other symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kbow, Jun 21, 2016.

1. kbow

kbow Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2016
    I have 2 black copper marans 1 speckled sussed and 1 gold buff and black orphington that have always been together in their own coop/run. My copper maran hen started "sneezing" a few days ago. Having dealt with chicken disease in the past i immediately panicked however she is eating, drinking, and acting normal otherwise. No discharge, no wheezing, no bubbly eyes. Just sneezes. If it makes a difference it did start when our heat index soared to 106°F and it has remained that for about 5 days. They are in the shade and i pit out a wading pool and electrolytes in ice water. Should i be worried? They all seem very stressed from the heat! None of the others are showing symptoms. Could it be heat, pine shavings, dust from feed? Its day 4 and nobody else is doing it so i assume shes not contagious. Can i check somehow to see if shes got something up her nose?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How often is she sneezing?
    It could possibly be weather related since your temps are so high. Dry dusty conditions, bedding, feed could be the cause.
    Since it's so hot, wait until nighttime when it's hopefully cooler and less stress for her (you don't want to have to chase her). Let them go to roost, then try to check her nostrils for any blockages. She could have some food/debris stuck in there and she's trying to dislodge it. If the nostril is blocked, wrap a towel around her and take her off the roost so you can try to get whatever is in there out.

If she has nothing blocking the nostril, keep an eye on her it could be a respiratory illness that has flared up because of the stress of heat.
    Keep an eye out for any discharge from the nose/eyes or if she develops cough/wheezing then separate her out if you can.

Keep up the electrolytes for everyone. The wading pool and ice water are a great idea, I hope your weather breaks soon.

How to unplug a nostril:
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/PluggedNare/PluggedNare.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/937614/clogged-nostrils

3. kbow

kbow Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2016
    Thank you for the link! I didnt see anything in the nares however shes still kind of making a strange noise almost like a sneeze. Theres no discharge or any other signs of illness but the heat is horrible. Im freezibg gallons of water to put in the coop to relieve my birds but i seriously can freeze them fast enough! The wind is also horribly hot right now so i dont think its helping one bit! Im worried ill lose birds if this heat doesnt go! Could it just be dryness or stress? Shes eating fine but its so hot my birds are barely drinking. I thought i may put the mister hose at the end of the run to see if that helps. No other birds are doing this and no new birds have been around. Its always just been these 4 together.

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I've read where people use misters, hose down a corner of the run, wet the roof down, etc. I have a fan mounted for my coop and run, but temps are no where near what yours are.

It could be dryness, they need to drink for sure. If they don't seem to want to drink the electrolyte water (I've heard some of it tastes bad?) then try just plain water to see if they will go for that. If you have it give them a little cold/frozen watermelon, melon, cucumber as a treat, it may help cool them slightly plus give a little hydration.

Can you possibly post a video of her actions? I know it's hot so if you can't that's ok.

Stress can make a respiratory illness flare up as well, so that's always something to consider.

5. kbow

kbow Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2016
    I will take a video and try to post it after my phone gets uploaded lol memory is full from all the pictures of my chickens haha i did notice my chickens are molting something fierce right now. I didnt know if that would play into wether or not theyd have allergies or be more suceptible to illness? Theyre all perky and happy as usual eating and drinking fine. It has been very hot and im afraid this heatwave isnt breaking anytime soon. It downpoured and all thst did was make it muggy and hot. Their combs and wattles are red as always and nothing else is out of the ordinary. Its just the snicking/sneezing sound

6. kbow

kbow Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2016
    Oh btw my copper maran had a small"fuzz" sticking out of a nodtril today so i pulled it and it was a good size piece of downy feather. She still itched it and sneezed but is there anything i csn put in the nares to make sure theyre clean?

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You could try some VetRx, I have never used it but quite a few people have. I have provided info in the link below, you may also want to search here on BYC or online to see if you think it may be something you want to use.

Since they are molting, consider upping their protein content. You can feed a commercial higher protein food like an all flock/flock raiser, feather fixer formula or you can add some scrambled/hard boiled egg, tuna, mackerel or meat to their diet.

https://www.drugs.com/vet/vetrx-poultry-remedy.html

8. kbow

kbow Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2016
    I got a video of her sneezing however idk how to upload it?

9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You can post a video using the icon beside the smiley face in the task bar, it looks like a film strip.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by