1 hen sitting on fertile eggs other has gone Brodie what to do

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by allischoooks, Jan 1, 2015.

1. allischoooks

allischoooks New Egg

Aug 18, 2013
    Hi,
    Just after some advice this is the second time my hen has gone Brodie and I have got some fertile eggs for her to sit on as I have no rooster, I have done this before with my other hen and we had a successful hatch. now my other hen has gone Broodie too and I am not sure what the right thing to do is. Can I take a fertile egg from my other hen and put under her or will this cause a problem as my other hen has been sitting on them for a week now. (Chicks due around the 10th of jan) Shall I just break her out of it or bite the bullet and get her fertile eggs as well and risk having more chickens than I am allowed to have in my backyard according to council.
    Any advice welcome
    Thanking you in advance

2. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    Shouldn't be a problem to move a fertile egg to your new broody. I would put more than one under the new broodie though. If your new broodie has never been a mom before keep a close eye on her when it's time for the chicks to hatch, because some hens don't know what to do with the chicks.

Last year I had hens go broody at exactly the same time, and I put fertile eggs under both of them. They shared the responsibility from taking their breaks from brooding together to taking care of the chicks together. The chicks had two moms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by