1" Hex PVC from 3T

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by greenriver, Dec 21, 2010.

1. greenriver

greenriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Wilmington, Il
  2. racepondUSA

racepondUSA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Racepond
    i have a small pen made out of it it works really well just put some heavy dutier wir around the base of it i works really well for the tops of pens

3. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    It will keep the chickens in. But that's it.
    Predators will blow right past it it.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I like something sturdier for predator protection on the ground.

5. greenriver

greenriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Wilmington, Il
    OK. Got it. I am planning to have metal roofing around the perimeter.

My question was really about the quality of the 3T wire.

6. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Have no experience with it. Was thinking tho that without a fence charger and 4 or more courses of hot wire, a coon can climb it and rip his way in. Lacking a fence charger, safer to go with 2x4 galvanized welded wire for sides and overhead.

Gerry:cool:

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I buy vinyl coated welded wire from this company:

http://www.wadavidson.com/index2.php?grp=13

They don't "mark up" shipping, either. How much it costs will depend on the weight of your shipment and how far it has to be shipped (they're in Florida)

Just an observation: 20 gauge wire is pretty thin, and especially if it's 1 inch hex wire (that's chicken wire, basically), that doesn't make for a very strong fence. As others have also noted, the 1 inch opening means a raccoon can grab through the wire and pull out your birds, piece by piece.

I use Davidson's 19 gauge vinyl coated wire with 1/2 by 1/2 spacing. It's strong enough for what I need (I have a fenced yard and no roaming dogs to worry about), plus the small openings help offer protection (I'm counting on the fact that the wire spacing is too small for a critter to get a good grip on the wire to chew through it). Plus, I do lock my chickens inside a secure coop at night anyway, and the openings in the coop are protected by 16 gauge wire which is far stronger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by