1 inch chicken wire okay for brooder?

MichelleMillar

Chirping
Apr 11, 2021
My baby chicks are in a rubber maid tupperware bin right now but they are outgrowing it quickly. My hubby made this tonight. Is the wire safe? The brooder is inside I’m not worried about predators I’m wondering will the little butt nuggets get stuck in the wire? Over protective chicken mom 🤷🏻‍♀️ New to chicks and chickens. Picture below. Thanks friends 🙏🏼

Attachments

• 772A11E7-EBD7-4395-86CD-963298846378.jpeg
    772A11E7-EBD7-4395-86CD-963298846378.jpeg
    478.3 KB · Views: 56
It will be fine as long as you don't have a cat or dog that will take a swipe at a little head poking through the mesh.
I have a cat and dog... the cat doesn’t even care about them he’s 12 and declawed but my dog might good thinking. Might have to add some g
I personally would be worried they may strangle themselves in the openings.
my thoughts also. Might have to go back to the drawing board

It will be fine as long as you don't have a cat or dog that will take a swipe at a little head poking through the mesh.
I have a cat and dog... the cat doesn’t even care about them he’s 12 and declawed but my dog might good thinking. Might have to add some g

my thoughts also. Might have to go back to the drawing board
Problem temporarily solved! Reduce Reuse Recycle lol 😝 the middle has a plywood insert

Attachments

• 0F232CBD-8FF1-4395-9C3C-29D2C201AE2F.jpeg
    0F232CBD-8FF1-4395-9C3C-29D2C201AE2F.jpeg
    619.4 KB · Views: 27
if your cat or dog is around them all the time they should associate them as part of the family...or at least that they belong in his/her territory...

I have my brooder out in the open...my cat sees the chicks on day one...my cat kills wild birds on a somewhat regular basis. even right next to the coop. I let the chicks run out in the open SUPERVISED after a couple weeks and the cat shows ZERO interest

Back
Top Bottom