1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 inch wooven mesh

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by staplehead, Dec 27, 2010.

1. staplehead

staplehead Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2010
    georgia
    i have a 12 by 12 coop...with a 25 by 25 run...wanted to know if i could use this mesh to place on top off run to keep hawks out...

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That should work, it doesn't need to be very robust to keep hawks out, just completely covered. I've had hawks fly into some pretty small places but my coop has 2x4 woven wire on top and no problems.

3. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

Personally, I'd save the "woven-wire" for something else (it's expensive) and I'd use "chicken wire" over the top (cheaper and sufficient for this use).

one opinion,
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]

4. staplehead

Oct 31, 2010
    georgia
    thanks

5. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I hope so. I have 2" multifiliment woven nylon mesh netting over the top secured at the edges to the fence. It isn't terribly heavy, but it is strong and fairly hard to cut with scissors. I ran a nylon rope around the edges and zip tied them to the top bar of the chain link fence. It won't keep out raccoons or opposums, but the girls are locked in during the dark hours. Hawks are the primary daytime threat in our area.

On a side note, the mesh must warn them off. A large red-tail was floating along the fence line over the weekend "surveying the buffet" as my DH said. He moved on and didn't come back. I guess the mice in the pasture were an easier prey.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  6. staplehead

Oct 31, 2010
    georgia
    thanks

7. Tawodi

Tawodi Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    southern AZ
    I found that 2 inch mesh was cheaper than 1 inch and does a fine job, probably lighter since it takes less wire per sq ft. Don't use stucco wire, it looks like regular wire mesh but it isnt made to stand up to outside weather. When you are connecting the strips of mesh together (I had to do 12 strips of 4ftx50ft mesh to cover my run) I found it to save much time and effort to use hog rings and pliers. Initially I was using galvanized wire cut to 5 inches, hold the mesh together with one hand and try to tie the mesh together with the other. Now it takes 5 seconds to connect the mesh. hope some of this made sense [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by