1% injectable ivermection applied topically? dosage

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by QuoVadis, Feb 11, 2014.

1. QuoVadis

QuoVadis Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2013
    This is a question mostly for my mom, but I am also curious for my chickens eventually, because Id like to have healthy anti-parasite routines. My mom has the 1% injectable ivermectin thar she got for her chickens, to be applied topically. Can she use this or only the pour on ivermectin in that way? I found the dosage for the 5% pour on in several threads,but is it the same number of drops if you use the injectable kind topically (since they have different ivernection %s)? Also will it only kill mites ans lice applied topically, or also internal worms? I suspect she has both, so I think she needs to use some Wazine first anyway? Or is just Wazine plus using Sevin a better option? Thanks!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    First... The pour-on ivermectin is *not* 5%, but don't feel bad, I also used to think it was 5% [​IMG]

Pour on = 5mg per ml = .05%
    Injectable = 10mg per ml = 1%

Anything 5% has 50mg per ml and anything 10% has 100mg per ml.

Second... It will only treat bugs that bite, like mites. It will not treat feather lice.

Third... There is a study that shows it as an ineffective wormer, so IMO, you are better off using a wormer like Safeguard or Valbazen, Wazine only gets round worms.

-Kathy

3. QuoVadis

QuoVadis Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2013
    Thanks for the clarification! So would you do half as many drops of inject-able ivermectin topically, as the pour on kind? I know Wazine only gets roundworms, but I read that if the chickens haven't been wormed within the last 6-12 months, you should worm with that first, then repeat 2-4 weeks later with a stronger wormer, otherwise it may be too hard on the chickens. Would it be bad to apply the ivermectin topically since she already has it (for mites), and give the Wazine (for roundworms) at the same time, or would that be too much for them if they might be somewhat weakened?
    Also does Sevin kill both mites and lice?

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    1 person likes this.
  6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by