1 legged bantam

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by furley1229, May 16, 2010.

1. furley1229

furley1229 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    pine grove,ca
    hi,im writing to see if anyone can help me.i recently took in a bantam thats missing leg.does anyone know how to make a prosthetic for her?she is so cute and happy but she struggles to hop around i would just like to make her more comfortable.

2. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I think you might want to just let it be so she can adapt and strengthen that other leg, then she won't need anything to get around. Chicks do adapt and can get around easily on one leg once they learn how. That little one will be hopping around in no time you'll see! There are lots of one-legged chickens without prosthetic legs.

3. furley1229

furley1229 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    pine grove,ca
    thanks for your reply i think shes about 8 months to a year.i just feel that i should do more for her since the previos owners didnt

4. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I can attest to the fact that they adapt. I was trying to catch a feral rooster on a woman's property who had only one leg, and guess what? Despite our best efforts, it was no good. [​IMG] He could run like any other chicken you've met, just hopping with that one leg! He had only had that one leg for something like a year and was in a predator-heavy area, and still nothing could catch him. I'm sure your bantam, given some time, will do just fine! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  5. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Oh I guess I assumed it was a chick. I still believe though that the chicken can adapt without prosthetics no problem. May be the previous owner did not give him/her enough space to really get full use of that leg and exercise it enough to be able to support and balance properly. If she/he seems wobbly then I suspect that is the case and that leg is not yet strong as it will be once regularly exercised. Maybe try some special exercises with her, like walking with treats around the yard or standing on your hand for balance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by