1 little pecker

11 chickens

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2016
Bowmanville Canada
I have 11 chickens. They are 18 weeks old..I have 4 that just started laying eggs a week ago .. Soo exciting!! I love them girls.. One of my girls "Lucy" about a week ago started plucking everyone's butt feathers out. Nobody is bald . But she's such a pest. I'm wondering if there is a reason for this! I think she is one of my egg layers.

Greetings, 11 Chickens, and :welcome. Pleased to have you with us. Not sure on the butt feather pulling. Maybe she's just trying to be on top of the pecking order. Watch for baldness or skin breaks if it continues...she and the others will really go after a bird with an obvious wound. Best of luck to you!

Hi and welcome to BYC. As Redsox suggests, it could be something and nothing so keep an eye on things. If it continues, then maybe consider trying to increase the level of protein in their diet (so you can rule a lack of protein as being a possible cause).

Best wishes
CT

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us and congrats on those eggs.

If you are certain it is only one chicken doing the feather picking, then do post the issue under the forum drumstick diva quoted.
There is also a long thread on how to try to break a feather picker - search and you can find that one - but IMO no one had the "magic" solution.

But ifyou suspect there may be more than one doing the feather picking, IMO re-evaluate the coop/run size and make sure they all have much more than the minimum area.
Personally I had a problem with this with my flock until I enlarged their protected run.

Back
Top Bottom