1 Mo. old India Blue Peachick-Male or Female? *PICS On post 9 & 10*

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by JP101010, Jul 28, 2011.

1. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi ,
    we have a one month old peachick who we think is a male - his flight feathers are a bright rusty brown. we just caught him doing the exact display that you would see a peacock do [​IMG].. is it possible at this age? I have looked through some old posts on the forum to find the answer and came across posts about male and female dislpays?!?! im confused lol
    He is in a pen with (and was raised with) a sultan and a crevecour chick , it appeared he was displaying for them by dropping his wings and sticking his tiny tail feathers straight up- like a wall.
    what does a female display look like??

Any help with identifying the sex (pics on post 9 and 10) would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have a pic???? This is a female Hen fanning (Adult) [​IMG] (This pic is not mine)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  3. DMFarm

DMFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Winona Tx
    Quote:That not a hen it a yearling blue male.

Both sexes will display they will start at a week or so old they both look the same when displaying.

4. Tikkajazz94

5. Tikkajazz94

opppps.... Im sorry... looked at the picture closely and there its turning blue... I Apologize.

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    The photo above looks like one of my hens that has some spalding in her background her neck is very colorfull and she has dark feathers on her brest.
    here is my IB male at 8 months of age.
    [​IMG]
    he has barring all over his feathers

7. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:It's also got barred wings, not brown wings, which is another indicator of being a boy [​IMG]

That said, that's what the females will look like displaying, just a different color slightly.

Here's a video of my girl as a baby, displaying.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  8. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Yes displaying isn't really a sign if a peachick is a boy or a girl...Adult peahens display sometimes for fun but mine seem to display when they are trying to look big and threatening like when our dog gets near them. Here is my two year old India blue peahen Pip displaying. What you can't see is what she is displaying at...She is displaying at my peachick Peep.
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of my peachick Peep displaying...We think Peep is a male because his new feathers are striped and he just looks tall and big. He likes to peck my hand when he displays.
    [​IMG]

9. JP101010

Thanks for all the great info ! We decided to start wing clipping early since our peababy is very hand tame and will need just the primaries trimmed 2-3 x a year.
    It was much more successful than i would have ever imagined. he just sat there in my hubbys arms while i clipped , never even knew the difference [​IMG]
    so here is a pic of the wing trimmings
    [​IMG]

and is here is a pic of his body
    [​IMG]

The peachick was displaying yesterday for the white sultan youngster next to him in this photo(they were raised together from 2 days old)
    while displaying the peachick was pecking the sultan?!? more confusion lol ... they sleep piled up together and the peachick use to eat food mash off of the sultans beak [​IMG]

any ideas on the sex of this 1 month old peachick?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  10. JP101010

Here are some muchh better pics :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a family Photo
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by