1 month old baby chick hurt by dog/ Help :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickadeeTawny, Jun 22, 2016.

1. ChickadeeTawny

ChickadeeTawny New Egg

Jun 21, 2016
    A very sad past few days.1 month old baby chick hurt by dog. Not sure what happened. She was found instantly after the dog had her. She had a small soar on her wing and a smaller flesh tear under one wing. Both wounds are healed now. You can't tell she even had them. It has been two days. She eats and is very alert.Her food consists of her chick crumbles, nutritional yeast, oystershells, oats, probiotics, and soft scrambled eggs cooked in coconut oiI. I have only seen her drink water by herself once. I have been feeding her water through a straw. I have also given her some coconut water an freshly juiced watermelon. My biggest concern is that she is not standing and can't stand. It seems like she wants to sometimes. I see no signs or a broken leg, bruises, or swelling. One leg is stronger then the other one. When she lays done she is laying on her side. She will curl her toes around my finger with both feet. If I prop up her weaker side she with hold up the other and can stand. It seems like she likes it when I help her stand and stretch. She wiggles her tail and talks sometimes. If she wants to move she will flutter around without standing laying on her side for a second or two. Her poops have gotten a lot smaller the past few days then when I first brought her in. One of her poops was even bright green. He last one wasn't though since I gave her the probiotics. She is separated from the others. Some of you might think its a little silly but I have been playing classical melodies for her. I think she likes it. I am just really hopeing she will get better and be able to walk. I have been up with hardly any sleep the last few days taking care of her all through the day and night. :'( :'( :'(

2. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    She does not need oyster shell until she starts to lay. She needs chick sized granite grits so she can 'chew' her food. If you can't feel any broken bones? May have nerve damage? Did dog shake her? I would keep her safe and quiet. Might be easier to feed water in a child's dosing dropper. If in another three or four days she isn't standing and walking, then she may have nerve damage. I have had same thing happen and some recovered, some died, and some I had to put down. You are doing all you can and chickens are very resilient.

3. ChickadeeTawny

ChickadeeTawny New Egg

Jun 21, 2016
    Opps it is the Purina granite chick grit that I give them.I just got her some chick vitamins and electrolytes too.

Thank you for your reply that really helped. I am thinking you might be correct about the nerve damage. Poor girl [​IMG].

Trying all I can. I hope she gets better!

4. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    Glad it is the grit and not oyster shell. I just take it a day at a time. As long as she seems happy, comfortable, then give it some time. You can prop a mirror up so she can see herself as that helps about being lonely. Fluids are most important as she can do without much food, but water vital. Usually they are off feed for a while after such a shock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by