1 month old chicken lethargic/sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by quailconundrum, Apr 6, 2018.

1. quailconundrum

quailconundrum In the Brooder

May 25, 2017
    I got my baby chicks on the 21st of February at 1 day old. Today is April 6th, so they're approximately a month old.

They are cornish bantams, red laced white. They have all of their feathers and there are five of them, so they are in a coop outside. There are plenty of shady/sunny spots, always lots of food, and always lots of water.

I thought all of my chicks were healthy until now. One of them is a bit smaller than the others, and today when I went to check on all of my chickens, I found her in the sun completely lying down and not moving. I thought she was dead.

I scooped her up and found that she was not, in fact, dead, but very lethargic and limp. I immediately brought her inside and gave her food and water. She soon perked up and started eating and drinking and pecking and walking. She is walking around me and on my computer as I type this.

However, when I checked her, I found her to be thin. I tried to check her crop but I'm not very good at that, since before I had quail and I couldn't catch them to check their crops. I got all the other chickens and checked them and they are good weight and normal crops. I can't tell if her crop is hard or if it's empty.

Her poops were runny since it's hot out, but since she's come in, her poops are normal. Her feathers are puffed up and her eyes are closing and her head is jerking up and down, as if she's trying to stay awake. But she's standing and eating and drinking. No cough or sneeze.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the long post, wanted to give as much information as possible. Thank you for any responses.

2. LoveDatChickenLife

LoveDatChickenLife Chirping

Jul 9, 2017
    This seems to be happening a lot to birds. I think it might be the same sickness one of my hens got. It never spread, so I’m not sure how or why this was happening. I wish I was able to stop it, but she died the morning after a day of lump. I Hope you’re chick survives!! :)

3. chickens102403

chickens102403 Chirping

Jan 5, 2015
    California
    I would put her back in a brooding box for a few days... Give her electrolytes in her water and put a heat lamp over part of the brooder so she can be in the light or put out of it.
    One of my month old chicks got out of the coop last week and by the time I found her she could not stand or open her eyes. Within a few hours of warmth and electrolytes+probiotics she was a little better and back to 100% the next morning. I put her right back in with the others and now she's doing great.
    Good luck!

LoveDatChickenLife likes this.
  4. farmmanjim

farmmanjim Chirping

Jun 23, 2015
    A little sugar in her water one day only will give her a boost also. Some chicken take a little more time than others. Was she vaccinated? I give my older girls DE in their food a couple times of year for worms and general health but I think she's too young yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: