1 month old chicks dying and dont know why...no symptoms?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Smokin Silkies, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    In the past 2 weeks I've had about 15 chicks die out of about 40. They are all Silkies and all from shipped eggs, different breeders. Anyways, I can't see anything wrong with them. They were all active, no pasty butt, no bloody stools.....nothing!!! I give them fresh water 1-2 times a day and complete scrub the water container every day or every other day (in between if its not bad I just give it a good cleaning with my finger) They also have fresh food daily/every other day. They are in fresh bedding inside my house with pine shavings. They have a heat lamp thats above them. I know its not because they are too hot/cold because they aren't "running" from the light or huddling close together to stay warm. I just don't understand what is causing this when they all seemed so healthy???

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    aww crumb hunny Im sorry:-( are you taking care of your older birds then going to tend to the chicks???

3. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    I don't know, I hope someone who has more knowledge can help out.

4. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    What substrate are you using? If you were using pine shavings make sure that there is no cedar in them. Also, our feed store had a bunch of birds die and discovered they were all being fed a bad batch of feed. I'd take some of the chicks and have them necropsied and bring some food to be test too. It's free, just need to find one close to you. http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AnimalHealth/StateVets.aspx I'd hate to see you lose more. So sorry!

5. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I use the pine shavings/bedding from Tractor Supply. They don't have cedar in them. Sometimes I go outside and take of the older ones first, then the chicks and I don't always wash my hands in between. My adults aren't sick at all....that I know of, haven't had any problems. So are you saying my adults could be sick and I'm carrying it to the chicks? This just doesn't make any sense at all. It's never happened to me before and I feel so bad I can't help. I'll check out the link to see if theres anything close to me. I don't have a dead chick to take in.....and I hope another don't die, but if it does I'll take her in to check.

Sonew, my chicks (well not chicks anymore) are doing great. Out of the 4, I ended up with 2 cockerels and 2 pullets so not to bad [​IMG]

6. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I tried the link and then I clicked on PA for my state. It then brought me to a page and said that the page cannot be found or has been renamed or removed?

Quote:

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Im saying that they could have gotten something from your older birds-your older birds could have built a resistance to whatever could be out there-and your chickies dont have that strong of an imunne system to protect them yet:-( Always do chickies first...then other birds. If you need to go back to chickies wash real good before:) Can never to be safe than sorry...

Im so glad the 4 are doing great...at least you got two pullets--eggs yet???

8. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    Thanks, I never thought about the immunity before. I'll be sure to do chicks first, then adults.

By next Spring they'll be laying me eggs, then I can hatch out some Lavs finally [​IMG]

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Right...its all the waiting that kills me..I mean I go for broke and just buy them but it's been fun creating my own and knowing their genetics 100% :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by