1 Month Old Chicks having Diarrhea and Scratching Faces

cheeps

Songster
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Rockwell, NC
I have six one-month-old RIR chicks that are in a brooder in my house. They stay inside but do get some outside play time, and they have a diet of chick mash and grit, but I do give them broccoli as a treat mabye once to twice a week. Yesterday I noticed they were having diarrhea, it's watery and sometimes is brown, sometimes somewhat clear. They had broccoli the day before.

Also, I've noticed they seem to be scratching their face, rubbing their beaks on their bedding. They aren't actually scratching themselves with their feet, just rubbing their faces/beaks. Is this normal? And should I worry about the diarrhea since they've been getting treats? Please adivse...thanks!

At 1 month old I generally dont give treats, because of the chance for diarrhea. Rubbing of the beak is normal. I guess it kind of cleans them off. Just make sure you have plenty of fresh water for them to wash down the food with. You can switch from mash to crumbles, this may cut down the amount that gets stuck in their beaks and throats.

Back
Top Bottom