1 month old Delaware - Head Injury?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sunnyabc, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Sunnyabc

Sunnyabc Chirping

Mar 20, 2018
    Hello,

I am posting again about Della because I am wondering if she may have sustained a head injury. I have been searching my mind and there was a time at about 2 weeks old that I was transporting her with a screen over the box and it fell on her. It didn't seem that heavy but she chirped loudly and shook her head. I feel so horrible that I may have caused this. Eating and drinking and pooping all normal but she just sort of lumbers along and cannot make it up on any of the perches even the lowest one which is just a small box. She stands looking at these things like she WANTS to get up there but has no clue how. I've been noticing her lagging behind for about 10 days now. The other 4 birds are all doing fine. They are on medicated chick feed with occasional chick scratch. They are in a large brooder (sideways fridge box) with pine shavings and 3 levels of perches. There is no visible sign of trauma but she has some redness at base of feathers as I think she is over preening?? I haven't seen anyone one pecking or bullying her and she is same size/weight as others. Maybe preening is easy activity while laying down which she does a lot. She also shakes her head more than the others. Other than her lack of coordination and propensity to lay under the lamp a bit more than the others she is energetic and friendly when awake. I'm writing primarily to inquire if there is any chance this is a disease that could spread to other chicks (all 4.5 weeks old). Thank you in advance for any advice!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    I dont believe Della has an infectious disease. It could be from the head trauma or maybe a nutrient deficiency. Give her Poultry Nutri Drench, one drop orally twice a day for 5 days. No more than that. Hopefully you'll see improvement. If not, you'll know it might be from the injury.

Sunnyabc likes this.
  3. Sunnyabc

Sunnyabc Chirping

Mar 20, 2018
    Thank you so much!. I have given her the “saveachick” formula. Is this comparable?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: