1 month old silkies - one has shredded wings, the others don't...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MedChicken, Dec 25, 2011.

1. MedChicken

MedChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Virginia (Zone 7)
    Hi! I'm a long- time reader but first time poster on here. I just got 6 month-old silkie babies. They are doing great, eating well, drinking well, cuddling and playing. I'm a bit confused about their wing feathers, though. One has deeply shredded wing feathers, the others have hard feathers on their wings. All have feathered feet and those adorable poof-ball tails! Is it normal for them to have hard wing feathers at this point? Will they be replaced later? Thanks!!

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    [​IMG]

yes it's normal. they should look shredded. sometimes the younger ones will appear to have hard feather but as they grow out they'll look more like the shredded ones. (unless you have silkie mixes)

3. MedChicken

Dec 25, 2011
    Virginia (Zone 7)
    Thanks for the quick reply! How soon will they change? I think they are full silkies, but I guess you never really know...

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG] You need to post em I am addicted to pictures!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Pin quills that first come in are crazy feathers they just come in. Wings come in first, then the neck and head and after that body feathers come in in patches. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

5. MedChicken

Dec 25, 2011
    Virginia (Zone 7)
    Um... Do the pics have to be on photobucket or something for me to post? I don't see an upload option....

But yes, there are pictures! I'm not up on the color names, but there are two yellowish ones, two black/charcoal grey ones and two brown ones (one of which is really more orange than anything else). Mom was orange!

As soon as I figure out how to post pics, I will!

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    How to up load a picture

The picture you load should be in a folder lets call "chicks" on your desktop. So make a folder by right hand click and say new folder and name it "chicks".
    Now copy and save the pictures in the file you made "chicks"
    The next step is to go and in the middle of the top section there is a button names "UPLOADS" go ahead and click on it.
    When the window opens go down to "BROWSE" and click on it and look on your "desktop" for the file "chicks" and click on your picture #1 and then click on "submit". There you go. Now you can cut and paste where it is saved on BYC under "your uploads" there is 2 URL's now to copy and paste. Under your image you see 2 sections "THUMB" & "IMAGE" you want to copy the "Image" and paste it in the tread you want to write in. I always copy and paste to MS Word page and then copy the entire thing when it looks like you want it to in the thread. The click on new post and then paste it to the post.

7. Frost Homestead

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    you can't upload until you have at least 15 posts. use the photobucket IMG code

8. MedChicken

Dec 25, 2011
    Virginia (Zone 7)
    Well, it actually let me upload, so here's the first pic. This is from right when they got home - I promise they've moved to a bigger home since!! This was just the box that they came home in!

[​IMG]

And now, off to take more pictures of the beautiful babies!!

9. Frost Homestead

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    looks like you have some silkie mixes in there. (unless you have different breeds in with the silkies) yes, please do post some pics of the individual chicks

10. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I'm a little confused by your post. Are they 1 month as in the title or 6 months as in the posting? If they have silkie feathers, five toes and black skin, they are likely purebred. Hatchery chicks often have wing feathers and toe feathers that are hard. Looking forward to you photos. Silkies are always adorable even if they have a flaw or two. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by