1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 month old turkeys picking on each other

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Rooster Of Year, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Rooster Of Year

Rooster Of Year New Egg

Jun 7, 2015
    I have 6 1 month old turkeys and the bigger two are picking the others all the same age and they are peaking them rite at the base of the beak rite next to the nostrils and they are taking flesh and even more and making it bleed I don't won't anything to happen to them that kills them so what do I do? Thanks.....

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Where are you keeping them? At a month old they should be outside during the day and in a roomy pen at night. Most pecking is from boredom.

3. Rooster Of Year

Rooster Of Year New Egg

Jun 7, 2015
    Yes they do have a pen that they are in so it could be just boredom.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I put together a temporary pen for mine that I move around daily to get them outside and to start getting them used to the outside world and the organisms in my area. They go back to the brooder at night. I use a roll of heavy 1/2 by 1 inch fencing 10 feet by 3 feet and form a circle with it that is easy to move and stands alone. They will outgrow it in a month or so, than they get a bigger fenced area. Otherwise adding some clean sod clumps can give them something to mess with, after they get over their terror of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by