1 month olds out for a stroll..or not...?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tsagirl, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    This is the 2nd day it has been somewhat chilly but very sunny and I put our 1 month olds outside who are fully feathered. Well......they dont even peck the ground or move, they just sit there! Is this ok? Is this somthing that they should not do?
    Hmmmmmm......
    I am just trying to get them used to the outside.
    Please write back with comments.
    Thanks!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They are probably scared. It is a big nwe world for them. They may also be cold.

3. Tsagirl

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    Yea I was thinking that, but I hate keeping them cooped up in the house in a large container. I was just gonna keep them outside for a hour or 2. Well I guess I better bring them back in. So much for my good intent. LOL

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I would try shorter time slots..maybe 30 minutes. And stay with them to make sure they are safe. At around 4 weeks they still have a lot of baby fluff to lose and more feathers to grow, so they could be getting chilled...or they could just be scared because its so big. Give them time and eventually they won't wanna go back in. [​IMG]

Jody

5. Tsagirl

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    true, I am gonna bring them in. [​IMG] They just started sunning themselves though...LOL

6. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh how sweet, You may need to show them what to do on the grass, My silky took hers out on the grass when they were only 5 days old last week and they loved it! Yes they were frightened but their mumma showed them all was ok!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by