1 Month Olds outside no heat

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ColoRockies, Apr 9, 2017.

1. ColoRockies

ColoRockies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2017
    We decided to put our 11 Red Rangers out at 4 weeks old. Had a 4x4' plywood makeshift brooder in the house and everytime we came home the house was beginning to smell! We took the heat lamp off of them at about 2 weeks old because we were trying to get them accustomed to colder temps. Currently it is getting down to 30 at night and they are in the coop outside. In the morning we change the frozen water and top their food off. We were pretty nervous about putting them outside, as we are only a year into chicken raising, but they are perfectly fine. We refuse to use heat lamps outside and believe chickens, along with all His creations are intended to be outside. Read a lot of stories of people nervous to put 2 month old birds outside in 70-90 temps so here is a story of reality for colder places [​IMG][​IMG]

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    If they all fully feathered,it should be fine,just don let them out till later like around 9:30,let it warm just a little,thir still young so it can effect them a lot worse.

3. ColoRockies

Apr 9, 2017
    Thanks roo. There really is no such thing as warming up around here. The average high in a year is 70 and that's maybe for 1-2 months. All year here you can expect nightly temps anywhere from -20 to 40 tops and that's dead of summer. Anything to watch for as far as signs they aren't doing good outside when young?

4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Just standing around,and lots of extreme loud stress peeping,as if they lost their mother.They be standing around,not playing,fluffed up.

If the cold weather isn't bothering them so much,they will be playing,and eating,and maybe taking several breaks to sit together,warm up,and nap.

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

It's true that all His creations mostly live outside... but the ones who need the heat of their mamas until a certain age usually still have it.

Contrary to people believing chicks feather faster if they are in cold weather is BS. True they may be accustomed more to temp, but feathering is genetic! No matter how cold it gets I can't make my hair grow faster.

I also only get max temps around 65 during the summer. But here on the coast our day/night swing is usually 10 degrees max with less than 20 degree seasonal difference.

Having 14 birds that are a little older, they will be able to huddle a little more and keep each other warm by this age.

My chicks go to pasture with temp around 50 during the day, with a huddle box during their first week if possible.

@TheTwoRoos gave great information describing the behavior that you should see. If they don't leave there huddle and play some, it's too cold.

I would go out and listen. I have been camping before and too cold to sleep, it was miserable. So just pay attention to their behavior and adjust accordingly. People often don't realize the recommended chick temps is the max temp needed to warm up, not the temp needed for the whole environment.

For future purposes... consider brooding outside from the beginning and using either mama heating pad/heating pad cave or a wool hen. A quick search on those 3 should turn you up some results, and fantastic alternatives to a heat lamp.

Brrr, you get some cold nights! [​IMG]

6. ColoRockies

Apr 9, 2017
    Hey thx guys! I agree completely and trust me I have been very attentive since day one. They have been happier outside and are running around a lot and even climbing the ramp and jumping on branches in the coop. They got a little louder last night when the sun was going down but settled down quick. Left the light on the side of the house on to give them some light . Went out at 6 am when it was 30deg and changed their water that iced up slightly. They were running around before our 2 year olds. We camp in a tent sometimes when it's 0 deg so I understand being outside. Will definitely look into those lamp alternatives.

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Even when I was brooding indoors with a lamp, they always had that little chattiness when the light got turned off for a few moments. Kinda more like a little discussion.

My young chicks are waiting at my coop door every morning right now before the rest of the flock. I think they are a little hungrier. [​IMG]

Sounds like you got a pretty good handle on things, thanks for sharing.

Pics?! [​IMG]

8. ColoRockies

Apr 9, 2017
    They really do talk to you [​IMG][​IMG]

I'll go take some pics and thank you

9. ColoRockies

Apr 9, 2017
    [​IMG]

2 weeks

10. ColoRockies