1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 of 4 laying eggs (road island Reds)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mattskiboo, Nov 6, 2007.

1. mattskiboo

mattskiboo New Egg

Nov 6, 2007
    Well its odd.. I have 4 road island reds. Since I got them, only one has laid any eggs. They are all the same age, 9 months old. I did have a rooster until it died and that didnt change anything at all. I feed them daily and give them a large assortment of food. They have plenty of room to roam around and they always go to their coop after dark. Im puzzled what to do.. I give them layer feed, scratch, bread, you name it. They love it and they eat a lot. But ONLY ONE lays any eggs. Any ideas?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Make sure their layer food is free choice fed and is at least 90% of their diet. Too many treats can keep them from laying because of a lack of nutrition.

3. Mulemom

Mulemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    It's also that time of year when they stop laying either because of moulting or lack of light. If you put a light in the coop and make sure they are getting 14 hrs of light a day, you may get more eggs.

4. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Silkiechicken,
    My chickens are not laying either...so could it be that they don't eat enough of the laying pellets? I have stopped giving them treats and only feed them pellets and some hulled sunflower. They free range the rest.
    Is there anything else I should be doing? I've got a RIR, and some mixed Ameraucanas.
    My gals are 6mos old and no eggs.

ps. I really don't want to put a light in the coop

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It is possible that they are eating too many treats. Try to keep treats under 10% or so. Since they free range though. Are you sure they are not hiding eggs from you? I probably lose at least an egg a day due to free rainging.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by