1 of 4 laying eggs (road island Reds)

mattskiboo

Hatching
12 Years
Nov 6, 2007
Well its odd.. I have 4 road island reds. Since I got them, only one has laid any eggs. They are all the same age, 9 months old. I did have a rooster until it died and that didnt change anything at all. I feed them daily and give them a large assortment of food. They have plenty of room to roam around and they always go to their coop after dark. Im puzzled what to do.. I give them layer feed, scratch, bread, you name it. They love it and they eat a lot. But ONLY ONE lays any eggs. Any ideas?

It's also that time of year when they stop laying either because of moulting or lack of light. If you put a light in the coop and make sure they are getting 14 hrs of light a day, you may get more eggs.

Silkiechicken,
My chickens are not laying either...so could it be that they don't eat enough of the laying pellets? I have stopped giving them treats and only feed them pellets and some hulled sunflower. They free range the rest.
Is there anything else I should be doing? I've got a RIR, and some mixed Ameraucanas.
My gals are 6mos old and no eggs.

ps. I really don't want to put a light in the coop

It is possible that they are eating too many treats. Try to keep treats under 10% or so. Since they free range though. Are you sure they are not hiding eggs from you? I probably lose at least an egg a day due to free rainging.

Back
Top Bottom