1 of my 2 backyard hens was killed today

Gremily

Hatching
Aug 4, 2021
We moved house 4 months ago and inherited 2 lovely ex battery rescue hens along with the house. We loved them so much and threw ourselves into learning how to make their lives the best they can be (we’ve never had hens before). We live in central London, UK and have a small garden which backs onto a small park. We’d seen plenty of foxes around and were very nervous of having the chickens free range at first. But we noticed that (a) the foxes seemed disinterested in our chickens even when only metres away in the next garden (we thought because of all the fast food shops and food bins nearby) and (b) the chickens were so much happier when left to roam. As our hens are 6 years+ we took the decision to put their happiness ahead of the risk posed by predators. Tragically this morning a fox caught and killed one while they roamed (I chased it but it was too late). Having cried all day we now need to turn our attention to our remaining girl. I’ve googled for hours but I’m still unsure what to do - should we get another rescue hen to keep her company? Will she be OK alone? We really don’t want to give her up to another owner/flock but if that is best for her we’ll reluctantly do so. When they were 2 they pecked each other very occasionally, but more often followed each other around, sunbathed together etc., so I think she is sociable.

Any advice welcome. Thank you 😢

We moved house 4 months ago and inherited 2 lovely ex battery rescue hens along with the house. We loved them so much and threw ourselves into learning how to make their lives the best they can be (we’ve never had hens before). We live in central London, UK and have a small garden which backs onto a small park. We’d seen plenty of foxes around and were very nervous of having the chickens free range at first. But we noticed that (a) the foxes seemed disinterested in our chickens even when only metres away in the next garden (we thought because of all the fast food shops and food bins nearby) and (b) the chickens were so much happier when left to roam. As our hens are 6 years+ we took the decision to put their happiness ahead of the risk posed by predators. Tragically this morning a fox caught and killed one while they roamed (I chased it but it was too late). Having cried all day we now need to turn our attention to our remaining girl. I’ve googled for hours but I’m still unsure what to do - should we get another rescue hen to keep her company? Will she be OK alone? We really don’t want to give her up to another owner/flock but if that is best for her we’ll reluctantly do so. When they were 2 they pecked each other very occasionally, but more often followed each other around, sunbathed together etc., so I think she is sociable.

Any advice welcome. Thank you 😢
Lots of people are trying to give up chickens, you can look in the unanswered threads near the end, and you’ll find some for sale or free. The only catch is trying to find someone in your country/state. If you can’t possible find any by you, then you might give her away. I’d give yourself 2 weeks to look.

Lots of people are trying to give up chickens, you can look in the unanswered threads near the end, and you’ll find some for sale or free. The only catch is trying to find someone in your country/state. If you can’t possible find any by you, then you might give her away. I’d give yourself 2 weeks to look.
Thanks I’ll take a look at the unanswered threads. Good to know we have a bit of time to decide. Really appreciate your help!

Back
Top Bottom