1 of the chicks in my first hatch isn't eating or drinking it has splayed leg and is very lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sire12, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Sire12

Sire12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2016
    Northern Ireland
    I hatched out 4 in my first hatch they are 2 days old now, the last chick to hatch had what I thought was splayed leg when I googled the symptoms so I used a bandaid to connect it's legs if seems to be able to hobble around a little better but I haven't seen it go for a drink or for a meal yet it mainly lies down sleeping, I moved it beside the feeder and drinker to show it the other chicks using them, any help is appreciated

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    has it had anything to eat or drink yet?

3. Sire12

Aug 29, 2016
    Northern Ireland
    I haven't seen it eat or drink anything at all, they are in my room so I can see them regularly, it will sometimes get up and walk for a few seconds then lay down and rest again

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    It needs to eat and drink right away. Can you put the chick next to the food and water and make sure it gets to eat and drink? That's your first priority.

5. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    If you dip it's beak in the water it should start drinking

6. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    If you try feeding it a little hard boiled egg, that's an excellent first meal if the chick isn't eating. Not really sure why I quoted my self though ^

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  7. Sire12

Aug 29, 2016
    Northern Ireland
    Yeah I have 2 drinkers one with ACV in it and another with chuck multi vitamin I dipped in both a few times but it didn't drink from either, same with food I will try a hard boiled egg now though thanks, it seems to be getting a little less hobbly each time it gets up to walk il take its braces off tomorrow and see how it is, did it look like I did it right in that pic btw? Thx again for the help

8. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Glad it's doing better, good luck and you're welcome! Best of luck!

9. Sire12

Aug 29, 2016
    Northern Ireland
    I tried it with chopped up hard boiled egg but it didn't try to take any of it at all, tried grinding tiny sand sized pieces up and holding it up to its beak and then tried offering it water to its beak but it just won't take anything, it seems to be sleeping most of the time and when it does wake up its for short bursts and walks a few inches then drops back down and sleeps even when i was holding it it kept nodding off, not sure what i should do does anyone recognise these symptoms i really don't want to lose it

10. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Sorry I don't know. I think you should just keep offering food and water. Maybe a little sugar water? Best of luck, keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by