1" or 2" chicken wire for top of run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by momofthree, May 28, 2010.

1. momofthree

momofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2010
    Skiatook, OK
    We have a 20 x 12 run right now, with only a 12x12 area under sunshade cloth. There are lots of predators like owls, possums, etc. in our place and i want to cover the entire top of the run, including over the sunshade cloth. do i "have" to use the 1" chicken wire or would a 2" chicken wire keep out the owls? i am planning on putting a hot wire around the run also, so that is why i am going with chicken wire instead of something else more sturdy. The chickens are locked up at night in a secure coop and i just feel uneasy with part of the top open like that during the day.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If your primary goal is to resist hawks and owls, then I would think either would work. Obviously, since there is more wire involved with the 1in., that wire would be a little sturdier, but I don't see an owl putting forth the effort to tear through either if it's well secured with nails/staples/screws...JMO.

3. momofthree

momofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2010
    Skiatook, OK
    thanks, that is what i was thinking......

4. jrudolph305

jrudolph305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    Meadows of Dan, Va
    I have a 12' X 12' run and we have hawks and owls and we just put that plastic bird nesh--Lowes, Home Depot etc--over the top. Because the mesh is only 7' wide we did have to "sew" pieces together with a nylon string to get full coverage. Stronger than I thought it would be. Also put a support in the middle to hold it up--2 X 4 with an 8' long 1 X 2 on top forming a T. I put the 2 X 4 thru a cement block filled with sand and then didn't have to dig deep in the ground.

5. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    I have used the plastic bird cloth. When we built the new run, I used the left over chicken wire from my old run for the roof of the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by