1 or 2 Khaki Campbell drakes - Southern Oregon coast

Discussion in 'Animals In Need of Free Re-Homing' started by spiritbrook, May 6, 2016.

1. spiritbrook

spiritbrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Southern Oregon Coast
    To approved home close enough I can deliver to and see myself (and visit later)
    I'm crying to post this, but 3 drakes is 1 or 2 drakes too many (depending on who I keep)

Who I am considering:

1 year old drake "Mikey", father of the others. He loves his hen Betsy and would protect her to the death and she loves him too and stays by his side constantly even when he is locked up. If I give him away she will be looking for him for weeks I'm sure. The problem is he is awful to the younger birds. When I hatched them he started going nuts. Now that they are nearly grown he runs them down and violently tries to **** them, sometimes pulling out feathers in his effort to catch them. So, he gets to run around with his girl for a while every day then is penned up so he can't harass the others while they enjoy the yard. If I convince myself he can go it will be to a place where his behavior will not be a problem. I am guessing that since he gets handled so much to move him about and when I am rescuing the young ducks he might even learn to be a house duck. As with any animal I place or sell, he would always be welcome back as long as he lives. Even though he is bad, I cry to think I might need to send him on.

1-8 week drake "Berry", son of Mikey and Betsy. He's a clean slate, a little spooky - which is not terribly unusual for the breed, especially since his dad is such a bad fellow. He is smart and would learn. He doesn't realize he is a boy but I suspect he will someday soon.

1-8 week drake "Fuzzy", son of Mikey and Betsy. He is like his brother but not as wary as I have carried him around more and he has sat with me watching TV. He has become more independent and doesn't seem to like it as much anymore. I figure it is just a sign of adolescence.

I assume that Berry and Fuzzy with continue to stay friends and not fight if I kept both of them, but I can't keep them if I keep Mikey. Husband has also given me the "one drake" rule as well. I will be getting 2 sexed Khakis and perhaps one sexed Cayuga in the next week and thus my flock would be 5 girls and 1 (2?) boys. I'm at a total loss which it would be. The two are my babies, I raised them from when I got the eggs back from my friends incubator when they were pipping. And Mikey, well, Mikey is Mikey and I trust him to protect his girl from anything that might harm her (he doesn't even like me to pick her up)

[​IMG]

Mikey with his girl Betsy

[​IMG]

Absolutely horrible photo of Fuzzy (L) and Berry (R), sister Sera is on the far right.
    In the other shots I either cut off Fuzzy's head or they were both preening and had no heads.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  2. spiritbrook

spiritbrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Southern Oregon Coast
    UPDATE:

Mikey, Fuzzy, and Berry still live at my house. Mikey and his mate Betsy live in the back yard. Fuzzy, Berry and sister Sera live in the duck yard along with the geese and the chickens (chickens go where they please) Fuzzy and Berry and sometimes even Sera are often "jousting", some type of strange duck dueling to decide just who gets to do what to... well, you get the idea. Berry and Sera seem to like each other best, but Fuzzy seems to be in charge. I'd still like to see either Fuzzy or Berry or maybe both have a new home, but they sure seem happy how they are. Nobody picks on anyone. I'd find Mikey a home but then it would break Betsy's heart, she so obviously loves him and will lay by him through the fence for hours and forsake even eating nearly anything (I do think she loves meal worms even more than Mikey)

Here is a cute picture of Fuzzy, Berry, and Sera when they were 2-weeks old.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by