1 or 3 roosters?

KateHoehn

Hatching
Oct 4, 2020
I rescued 3 young bantam roosters that were abandoned on the side of the road. They've been with me for a couple of weeks. I am not really supposed to have roosters where I live, but of course I fell in love with 1 of them. I have found someone who said she will take them, she has one rooster already. My question is, should I let her take all 3? Or can I keep just the one and give her the other 2? The 2 are definitely more bonded to each other, the 1 I love is more independent. They all get along well, the only issues they've had with each other have been caused by the one I want. Sometimes he just picks fights with the other 2. Are they happy being solo with just humans to hang out with or will the 3 of them be happier staying together??

U_Stormcrow

Songster
Jun 7, 2020
North FL Panhandle Region / Wiregrass
I am not really supposed to have roosters where I live, but of course I fell in love with 1 of them.

Are they happy being solo with just humans to hang out with or will the 3 of them be happier staying together??
Chickens are social critters, I'd never recommend keeping just one. and if your local regs make it so you can't have roosters... Better to rehome now, as a group, than to try to find someone to rehome a single rooster later.

As to the behavioral issues with the one, without more information (which you likely don't have) there's no way to even hazard a guess. Flock dynamics are odd things - but I've personally found that space and abundance fixes most behavior issues. The others I cull, but that's not the answer you are looking for (or my recommendation) here.

EggSighted4Life

Crossing the Road
Apr 9, 2016
California's Redwood Coast
I am not really supposed to have roosters where I live, but
Send all three together.. instead of borrowing future trouble! :old

The other poster gave good advice. :thumbsup

Thank you for doing the kind thing and rescuing them. :highfive:

Please consider sending them ALL to their new home and going to visit the one you have fallen in Love with.. Instead of attempting to skirt the law. Since you're asking about him being alone that indicates no ladies available.. The kindest thing for him, your neighbors, and those of us who hope to maintain our right to keep back yards poultry AT all is let them go to the home you found. From my heart! :hugs

If you truly enjoy him and your experience with them, maybe you will be able to work towards keeping some chickens in the future? And if you especially like a rooster.. then planning and working towards a home where it is legal to keep is a worthy goal! :fl

Top Bottom