1 out, 2 zipped!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by genevieve, Aug 17, 2011.

1. genevieve

genevieve Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    And here is the first arrival...

[​IMG]

2. mathesonfarm

mathesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    YAY!!!!!
    [email protected]@k at those other ones...they look like they will be out in no time! CONGRATS! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  3. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    congrats. im in the same boat and want them all to hatch right now lol

4. genevieve

May 19, 2011
    I hope so, one has been working on it for almost 48 hours now little by little. This time I set 13 and it looks like at least 3 will make it. Last time I set 42 and only had 2 live chicks at the end of it. Very sad.

5. mathesonfarm

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    Oooh...that is sad :0(
    I put 12 in the bator this time and candled at day 7 and 5 were not fertilized so I was left with 7. Early this morning, @ 1:11 am, I got my first chick! It is SOOOOO CUTE! Its black and has a couple of little white spots. May possibly have a barred rock baby...? I am not sure what to expect out of these eggs because they came from my hubby's boss and he has all sorts of chickens on his farm. When I woke up this morning, I had another baby! Looks like a RIR. I have no more that somehow got shrink-wrapped, even though I NEVER opened the bator...but I helped that one out and is still has about 1/3 of it's shell left and I think it will be able to get the rest of the way out. It has actually made it out about 1/2 way in the last 10-15 mins. There is one more that is pipped AND (I am so happy about this) I dropped an egg while putting them in lockdown and it leaked a couple of drops of fluid and I thought I probably killed it. I came on here (but not for hours after) and ask the wonderful ppl of BYC and they told me to seal the crack with wax or liquid bandage...I picked wax...and IT JUST PIPPED!!!!!! Super excited and now that I have rambled on and on, I will shut up now [​IMG] Super excited for you and your new chicks and make sure to keep us updated!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  6. genevieve

May 19, 2011
    Congrats!! I just spent 15 minutes watching them, and the one that has hatched is dancing all over the poor ones that are trying to get out of their shells, they are pressed up against each other, I wish I could move one to make it easier for them both to get out.

And... I have 2 new pips! Hopefully at least 5 are on their way! When I candled there was one that might be bad which would bring me down to 12, but I am not good enough at candling to have thrown it away. Fingers crossed it doesn't turn out to be bad and explode!

7. mathesonfarm

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    Quote:I had the same problem with my first hatch (this is my second) so I decided to look into the egg carton method...I tried it this time and so far, I LOVE IT! The chicks can bounce all around and find their legs and the other eggs stay in place. Does wonders for my sanity, lol. I also did the dry incubation this time, too. So far, so good! I think I am going to stick to doing it this way :0)

8. genevieve

May 19, 2011
    3 out, 2 pipped and that original 1 still zipped and working!

9. mathesonfarm

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. genevieve

May 19, 2011
    OK, four are out and fluffy, the original one looks like it might be stuck, wings are out and it's been working for 48 hours now with no final exit. There is one pipped.

When do I take the fluffies out and should I try and help the upside down one?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by