1 out - 20 more to go - loud & wild chick - question please???

TOL Chick

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Milford, MI
Hi First Timer Here -

My hatch is underway, and I have a very LOUD & WILD chick as my first "outer". He is in there crashing about rolling over the other nearby eggs, so I'm somewhat worried about the other "kids" getting disoriented because they are now not "right side up".

Chick on the warpath is only about 30 minutes old, and not dry, so I hate to take him out.

I've opened the lid once to right side up a couple eggs, humidity & temp seemp to be pretty steady, but I certainly don't want to keep opening up the top.

Should I take him out and put him in a mini brooder? or should allow him to continue his reign of terror?

Thanks!

you know the rules. Don't open the bator for anything for the first 24 hours after first hatch. he's the cheerleader for the others... but it's why I always use cartons to hatch in.

thanks so much for the reminder! I'll "step away from the hovabator lid"
th.gif

interesting idea on hatching in the egg cartons - so do you leave them "big" side up in the holder part then? Isn't it more difficult for the little lovies to push their way out? anything I can learn to make the next round easier/better would be much appreciated!

oh - one more query if I may? I've got basically 2 "sets" of eggs in my incubator, 1st went in 2 days before the 2nd. Would you recommend me leaving all lovies (1st & 2nd batch) in until they've all done their thing? not sure the protocol on that
hu.gif

Thanks again for sharing your experience - much appreciated.

jumpy.gif

Congrats on your first hatch!
thumbsup.gif

If you have a staggered hatch as I always do, This is what I do. I take the bator into a HOT steamy bathroom to open. I crank a small room heater on high or set it for 100. Then I crank the shower on HOT!!! Once the room is full of steam I turn off the shower but leave the heater cranked! Then you can open the bator and remove dry chicks, shells, and add water and more eggs if needed. I then replace the lid and return to the hatching/brooder room. Just make sure the steam is not condensing on the eggs! If the eggs become saturated with moisture the chicks can drown in the shell. This is why I turn off the shower after steamy. The first steam up will put more than enough humidity in the room! It is like a sauna! I look like I was in the shower when I come out! LOL I have done up to 6 set staggered hatch and have never lost 1 do to shrink wrapping! As for the eggs rolling around.... I just lay them on the wire bottom and let things happen as they will. I did lose 1 to drowning! He pipped and then was apparently rolled over and drown in the shell.
hit.gif
I have not tried the carton method but I have another idea! along the same lines as the carton but not as big and bulky!

Good Luck and God Bless!

bigstack - you rock - fab idea!
bow.gif

thanks for the encouragement and words of wisdom - will give the shower/steam method a go!

jumpy.gif

less work... when the first hatch is done, pull the chicks and put some hot steamy water in to bring the humidity back up. Works for me...

Back
Top Bottom