1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 out 9 to go

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by frozenchick, May 11, 2008.

1. frozenchick

frozenchick Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Wisconsin
    So I came home from work Friday to see my Speckled Sussex with a little chick. I knew she was sitting on eggs. I checked it out and sure enough, there were 10 eggs left in her nest. I candled them and put them in the incubator right away. This morning one had pipped and now this evening it's out. Cute little thing too. This is my first time incubating. I can leave it in the incubator until the other eggs hatch? No more have pipped today, but I can hear chirping and wiggling from a few of the other eggs. How long can the chick stay in the incubator? I've heard several things from 24 hrs - 3 days. Any advice? I have a brooder ready to go when I need it. I'm just afraid to open the incubator with the other eggs in there. None have pipped but. . .I wouldn't want to mess up anything.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    24 hours from pip to zip...here is wishing for a good hatch!

3. frozenchick

frozenchick Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Just an update on the hatching: As of this evening I have 8 chicks out of 9 eggs. I'm not sure how far along the last egg is since I took it from my hen once she got off them. I candled it on Friday so should hopefully hatch tomorrow/Thurs. I have some interesting chicks. They are Speckled Sussex X Americauna. A couple of them look like just like Amer. chicks, but I have 2 that are super dark with red stripes on them, and are super fluffy. Can't wait to see what they look like when they get their feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by