1 out of 3 roosters is a crowin'

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EZZIEMAE, Aug 13, 2010.

1. EZZIEMAE

EZZIEMAE Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    WESTERN NEW YORK
    Hello all,
    My little d'anver bantam rooster named kellog is the only one a crowin'.. I have two black austrolops (rudy and valentino) who r way way bigger than kellog, have yet to crow. They are all 'bout 16 wks old now. When can i expect these guys to crow? [​IMG]

2. EZZIEMAE

EZZIEMAE Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    WESTERN NEW YORK
    :d

3. chickchickgirls

chickchickgirls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Oregon
    My banty started crowing at 13 weeks, my other one just crowed today for the first time at almost 20 weeks. Silly rooster!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    When I was raising two roosters together I heard the alpha crow daily, the submissive one maybe twice in 15 months time.
    Re-homed the alpha and the submissive one started crowing immediately.
    It's not uncommon for low ranking roosters to try to do everything they can to stay incognito, to keep from drawing the alpha's attention to themselves. Crowing from a submissive would be viewed as a challenge and most likely result in a butt whoopin'.
    ETA: When it comes to being the alpha, size doesn't matter. Attitude does. You could have a little two pound banty as your alpha and a 15 lb. jersey giant as your beta.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  5. chickchickgirls

chickchickgirls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Oregon
    We actually got rid of the banty right away as we live in town and don't want to upset the neighbors. I was hoping this other guy just was a hen with long neck feathers, but no such luck. He will be banished to the feed store tomorrow. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by