1 out of 4 chickens haven't laid an egg since molt started in the fall.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Coopnana, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Coopnana

Coopnana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    north Idaho
    they all appear to have come out of the molt although sill finding some tail feathers off and on. I've fed them dry cat food, sunflower seeds, scrambled eggs, oatmeal, spinach leaves, as wll as now on flockraiser instead of layer feed to try to help get them through it. So far just my barred rock is laying. Waiting for 2 GLW and Brahma to start back up. They will be two years old this Spring. We've had some supplemental light through the winter which was a low voltage purple infrared reptile sort of heat lamp. Most recently we've just put in a red bulb low voltage light that comes on at 3:00 am and goes off at 7:00 am. Any suggestions or something I need to do different? Will they get eggbound or never lay an egg after a molt that lasts this long. I believe it's been since October or before that it started in.

2. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Don't worry. They'll start laying again when the days get a bit longer. I'm not surprised the barred rock resumed laying already, as they're great layers. I haven't had good production from hatchery GLW, although they're incredibly beautiful birds. It's not unusual for 1 1/2 to 2 yr old hens to take anywhere from 2 to 4 months off for the molt, so I suspect they'll resume in February.

I've never provided supplemental light, but I'm wondering if the infrared light source was sufficient to influence laying. You're doing everything right, so with the additional light you're providing, they should resume laying.

3. mmclaughlin

mmclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    My girls are about the same age they will be 2 in April and I have 2 pullets about 25 weeks I have 1 hen a BA and a hen maybe a NHR (not positive) that are laying and one pullet that has started to lay they others are still on sabbatical lol!! I use a light that comes on at 5:00. they are all happy and healthy so I think by spring I'll have more eggs than I need..be patient I'm sure yours will start to lay too!! Good Luck!!

4. Coopnana

Coopnana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    north Idaho
    Thank you for the responses....this gives me hope :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by