+1 Pekin female, +1 Runner female - QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FowlLanguage, Jul 2, 2010.

1. FowlLanguage

FowlLanguage Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Questions about my new laying ducks:

1. What color eggs does each breed lay?
    2. They had males with them- How long will they be laying fertile eggs? I know it is 4 weeks with chickens.
    3. What kinds of places do they like to lay?
    4. Will either of them sit and hatch eggs, and are they good mothers? Or should I stick the eggs under Spot the Cochin hen?

2. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

1. What color eggs does each breed lay?
    Depends on the quality, pure rouens are supposed to lay green tinted eggs but mine, which were production rouens, laid white. Pekins will lay white eggs

2. They had males with them- How long will they be laying fertile eggs? I know it is 4 weeks with chickens.
    I would assume about the same

3. What kinds of places do they like to lay?
    Usually they will lay in the coop but you will find random eggs around their run or yard

4. Will either of them sit and hatch eggs, and are they good mothers? Or should I stick the eggs under Spot the Cochin hen?
    Depends on the birds, pekins typically will not but some are weird and will, usually not to term though. Rouens aid fair setters so some will some wont, my rouen girl was a great mother but that does not go for all rouens. You would probly be better off with the cochin if you dont want to risk losing chicks to poor setters or bad mothers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by