1 pipped How long before it does anything UPDATED: 4 HATCHED!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by P0U1TRYP3RS0N, Apr 10, 2008.

1. P0U1TRYP3RS0N

P0U1TRYP3RS0N Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    One of the eggs has pipped (a few hours ago) but hasn't made any progress. Should I assume it's dead? How long do they typically rest after pipping before zipping??

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Sometimes as long as 24 hours but sometimes I can hear chirpings and if it is less and not as loud, you might intervene as I do sometimes and they made it out just fine. It based on survivablity and if you didnt have enough humidity for them not to stick in their egg shells, I would help them out.

I would wait a while before I help them out. If it bleeds when you peel back the shell, leave it alone and let them finish it out. A very bloody chick can mean death to them while others survived just fine.

3. P0U1TRYP3RS0N

Mar 11, 2007
    It was still chirping as of three hours ago, and when I just went up to watch the 'bator I saw the piece of shell where the pip is move--so it's hopefully working on it. So how long do I wait before I intervene??
    PS- LACK of humidity has not been a problem with this hatch--As I write this there is still condensation on the windows of the incubator, even though the wells seem to be evaporating b/c I haven't opened the 'bator since day 18 (tonight is day 21). So we actually have too much humidity.

4. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    it takes them awhile just be patient

5. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    You want to wait another couple days before intervening. They will take a while to hatch and if you try to pull them out too soon they will not survive. I know it is difficult but you must be patient.

Richard

6. MaransGuy

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    I just found this from one of my earlier posts and think it might explain why patience is a virtue![​IMG]

Quote:

7. P0U1TRYP3RS0N

Mar 11, 2007
    When I wen to bed last night this egg was no where near hatching, and when I got up a few minutes ago to check, it had zipped but I thought it would be another couple hours, so I climbed back into bed and heard some rattling in the 'baotr....Wouldn't you know it, it hatched while I wasn't looking! It has a little pit of a bloody navel, but it's not like bleeding, it's just pink. YAY!!!! I'm so excited!!!
    PS- Also while I was asleep, three faverolle eggs pipped, and when this little chick hatched and started scooting around the incubator and peeping, someone is chirping back to it!!!

8. MaransGuy

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    See, it was worth the wait! [​IMG] They will be well on their way now!

Richard

9. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Congratulations!!!!!!

Maransguy, that was interesting. I'd not read that before. Certainly gives one pause when considering intervening w/ a slow hatch.

10. P0U1TRYP3RS0N

Mar 11, 2007
    Well, a total of four chicks have hatched now, and I think that's all that will hatch b/c none of the other eggs are pipped, moving or chirping. Three hatched on their own, but I helped one little guy who had been trying all day and wasn't making much progress....I'm not sure if he'll live...His navel looks a tad bloody, and he has deformed feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by