1 pullet laying 2 company 3s a crowd

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tuesdays chicks, Aug 16, 2010.

1. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    My andalusian smoky is the only 1 laying, shes been in and out of coop all morning, now shes in the nest, and my brahma footsie is in there with her, while the campine jodie is waiting in the coop, I was only off work for 1 other egg session and they didn't do this. anyone else notice their pullets playing midwife? I think its so funny. maybe they're taking notes, would be nice to have all the eggs in 1 nest for pickup at the end of the day.

2. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    I have a roo that does that. He only does it with one hen. He hops in with her while she is laying an egg. He even joins in with singing the egg song with her. After she gets up after laying on the egg, then, HE (yes the roo)goes over and SITS on the egg. I have joked on here before saying I might need advise on breaking up a broody roo. [​IMG]

3. tuesdays chicks

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    that is funny, now they switched places jodies in the nest with smoky and footsie is standing by, but I just disturbed her by throwing a cricket in the coop. I bet she doesn't lay at all today since she layed very early yesterday, maybe shes just showing the other girls what they need to do. lol

4. Alabama ee

Feb 18, 2010
    I have a couple of nest boxes, but the hens (and that silly roo) only use one. One hen will sit in it, lay an egg, then the next uses it.

Before they all started laying eggs, they would sit and sing the egg song. It is almost like they are going through a lamaze practice. Then, before you know it, actual eggs.
    I bet your others will be laying within the next week or so.

5. katdam

katdam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    texas
    my hen laid her first egg on friday the 13th...i haven't received a second yet....should i be concerned?

6. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    I just got my first egg yesterday, I got to witness it and one of my Red Stars was trying out various nesting boxes while my White Rock was laying. I thought she was just testing out the boxes for herself (no more eggs yet) but maybe she was actually playing midwife? [​IMG]

7. Alabama ee

Feb 18, 2010
    Quote:With mine, they did not lay consistantly for the first two weeks. (I have EE's.) Now, they lay almost everyday. Some chickens don't lay as often . If she looks healthy, etc, I would give it some time.

8. tuesdays chicks

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    they've been in there an hour and a 1/2, jodie doesn't look anywhere near ready to lay, but that may be due to camaflage with her feathers.we had an egg that was different then the eggs smokys been laying but think it was a runt egg. if I get another runt maybe jodie is laying but my only problem with that is though she is a campine and they usually lay white eggs she isn't showing any white earlobe.
    I'm worse then an expectant mother geeze, I feel like chasing them all out of the nest and coop and see who goes back in.

9. tuesdays chicks

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I was going to chase them out and they were out woohoo and left me the usual lil white egg slightly bigger then the last, hopefully the other girls have learned where to lay now.

10. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Hens don't lay real regular in the beginning. My first layer gave me a daily egg for 4 days, then was off for 3 days, then every other day for a week or so....It takes a while for things go get on a schedule.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by