1 pullet with a prolapse, 1 hen with purple comb and sneezing

savnnah07

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Help!

I have a Buff Orpington pullet who has been laying since about mid to late June and never had a problem. I went to put them out of the coop this afternoon and noticed that she pooped on me (which she never does) so I looked and she has a prolapse hanging out! It isn't very big, maybe half a ping pong ball or so...or the size of a marble. Anyways, I know that I should get some Preparation H and put in externally and carefully push what is out back in. Other than that what should I do?

Second, I have a BO hen who is about 7-8 years old. In the past week, her comb has turned much darker than I have ever seen it and it is drooping over, she stands sort of off by herself, and today I noticed her sneezing. She hasn't laid an egg in years, but has always been healthy. I don't know what to do to begin with.

I need help quickly as the TSC in town closes in about 2 hours and it takes me 1 hr just to get there!

thanks!

Help!

I have a Buff Orpington pullet who has been laying since about mid to late June and never had a problem. I went to put them out of the coop this afternoon and noticed that she pooped on me (which she never does) so I looked and she has a prolapse hanging out! It isn't very big, maybe half a ping pong ball or so...or the size of a marble. Anyways, I know that I should get some Preparation H and put in externally and carefully push what is out back in. Other than that what should I do?

Second, I have a BO hen who is about 7-8 years old. In the past week, her comb has turned much darker than I have ever seen it and it is drooping over, she stands sort of off by herself, and today I noticed her sneezing. She hasn't laid an egg in years, but has always been healthy. I don't know what to do to begin with.

I need help quickly as the TSC in town closes in about 2 hours and it takes me 1 hr just to get there!

thanks!

I haven't any experience with sick chickens but I have all the meds in case someone seems sick...one is called vet rx and it's for anything that ails including sneezing

For you hen with the prolapse it may happen again with her next egg or even bowel movement, so check her often. Prep H or honey can be used to push it back in. Make sure that the others don't peck her (she may need to be penned up) because they can peck her to death if it is red or bloody. For your other BO you could get some Tylan or Duramycin and start her on it.

For you hen with the prolapse it may happen again with her next egg or even bowel movement, so check her often. Prep H or honey can be used to push it back in. Make sure that the others don't peck her (she may need to be penned up) because they can peck her to death if it is red or bloody. For your other BO you could get some Tylan or Duramycin and start her on it.

Thanks! I went back outside to grab her to put some honey on it and it was gone. Everything seemed to be back where it was supposed to, and nothing looked swollen. I have checked her 2 or 3 times since Saturday and haven't seen anything out of the ordinary. The other hens haven't been bothering her either. I am going to get some oyster shell and the duramycin when I go to the store today. Hopefully she won't have an issue with it as long as I supplement with calcium. I have had chickens when I lived at my parents house forever and never had any issues, but now that I have my own place I can't seem to get away from the problems! I guess that is how it goes lol.

Thanks for your help!!

Back
Top Bottom