1 Pullet won't leave coop.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sugar0323, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Sugar0323

Sugar0323 Just Hatched

Aug 16, 2016
    North Dakota
    None of my ladies have begun laying so she's not broody. Any idea why just 1 would decide to stay in the coop? When I open the nesting boxes she runs out but then runs right back in. Crazy girl.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She's probably at the bottom of the pecking order and is hiding inside to stay out of the way of the others.

3. Sugar0323

Sugar0323 Just Hatched

Aug 16, 2016
    North Dakota
    Even though they're free range? I've had them since they were a few days old and they've never done this. How odd.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would spend some time quietly observing them to see if she's being picked on. I'm just taking an educated guess based on your information and what I have seen in my own birds. Perhaps she's getting close to laying or she could even be unwell, so many potential reasons.

5. Sugar0323

Sugar0323 Just Hatched

Aug 16, 2016
    North Dakota
    I'll keep an eye on her. I just went out and she was in the run so I picked her up and checked her top to bottom. She struggled the whole time and ran back in when I was done. Our rooster has been trying to breed with the ladies, do you think that could have stressed her?

6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California

I have one doing the exact same thing! Mine is very close to lay. Ive looke her over. Shes not egg bound, not lethergic or sleepy, not puffed up not hurt that i see, eyes are bright...i never thought about the rooster stressing her?? Humm could be. Im quite worried. Mine is doing the exact same thing as yours to a Tee. I sure pray they are not ill.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That's probably your problem, I didn't know you have a rooster, that will definitely keep some hens inside hiding.

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    With mine after observing for a few days her behavior is as follows: she stays in the coop. Does not want out with the flock. I noticed mine had done a foamy off colored poo. She will eat (not much) she was even roosting while the flock was out. Ive noticed now her tail is down an she is appearing fluffed up. Although her eyes are bright they do appear sleepy. I started Corid last night as in my case i think she might have a bit of cocci i sure pray she gets well. How is yours doing? I hope she gets well soon.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  9. Sugar0323

Sugar0323 Just Hatched

Aug 16, 2016
    North Dakota
    She's right back out with everyone today. Maybe she just wasn't in the mood to take any crap yesterday. :D Hope your lady feels better soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by