1 rooster 2 many hens, but want to have chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DiamondB, Jul 13, 2010.

1. DiamondB

DiamondB New Egg

Jul 9, 2010
    Hello,
    We have one blk australorp rooster and 6 blk australorp hens plus more (20-hens total). I know the rooster can't cover all these gals. We'd like to have him fertilize the blk australorp hens and then hatch some out. I currently have a broody hen, but no fert eggs that I know of. Anyone have suggestions on how to go about this challege? They free range during the day and roost in a closed coop at night.
    Thanks for any help/suggestions!

2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    if you want to breed them pure you are either going to have to get more roos or separate the breed you want eggs from.

ETA - unless you want to get into AI. Then you could fertilize the hens you want daily and make sure they are covered.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  3. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    20 hens is not too many for one rooster. If you do a web search, the recommended ratio is anywhere from 1-15 to 1-25, depending on which web-site you are on. Although some roosters seem to perform better than others. I have 1 rooster to 27 hens (which is too many) but I'm only allowed 1 rooster. I would add another if I could. [​IMG]

4. scbatz33

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Most folks will say between 10 and 15. If he's a young roo and "good" at his job, maybe more, but if he's older or not so great at breeding, you won't get the consistency of a smaller flock.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  5. DiamondB

DiamondB New Egg

Jul 9, 2010
    thanks, I thought about separating the blk astralorps for a period of time. How long? and how many eggs? I can easliy use one of the horse stalls and separate them for a short period of time, then let whoever is broody sit on eggs in that location, but will she?
    Thanks for the feedback!

6. scbatz33

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Since you only have one roo, you can separate them out and just monitor how he's breeding. you should know in a couple days if he's covering everyone. I check fertility a couple times a month. I randomly crack an egg. Plus I hatch a lot as well. I've got a very fertile roo. Even when he was jumping the fence, he was still fertilizing each girl every day.

And, depending on how long you want to be getting hatching eggs would depend on how long you keep them separate.

As far as broodyness goes, that's all up to your girls

7. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    If you've got a broody right now, I'd give her eggs and just see how they do. Candle in 7 days, and if they're not developing throw them out. Odds are you'll have quite a few fertile eggs, and you can cross your fingers that they're the australorp eggs!

Good luck! [​IMG]

8. DiamondB

DiamondB New Egg

Jul 9, 2010
    Thank you for the reply. So just give/leave her several that we have now and see what happens. i suppose that is just as easy. Now, I need to figure out how to candle. [​IMG]

9. Lesalynn

Lesalynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Darnell, Louisiana
    Candeling is very easy. Get yourself a mini-maglite, take out the plastic lens and screw cap back on. Now, get you some eggs, close yourself up in a dark closet---don't laugh, lol----this is how I do it. I even take a chair in there with me. [​IMG] I take one carton with eggs in it, and an empty one to place already candeled eggs in. Just put the tip of the maglite over the end of the egg....will shine right thru. Even works for my EE eggs, dk brown eggs, and even my quail eggs. It doesn't matter which end of eggs you light up, until they are well advanced....then I just use large end. Good luck and happy candeling !!! [​IMG]

10. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I don't even take the plastic lens cover off. I just put the egg on the light (mine is a D cell Mag Lite), and close my hand around it so all the light is directed through the egg. You'll be looking for blood veins and a little black, wiggly embryo. Once you see it, you'll know that's what you saw. It's pretty obvious if your eggs aren't too dark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by