#1 rooster not anymore

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Iron Mike, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Iron Mike

Iron Mike New Egg

Dec 16, 2009
    East Troy Wisconsin
    I have 3 roosters and 12 hens. The roosters are brothers. I've had them since they were chicks. From the day they started moving one established dominance over the other two. As they grew, the dominance became stronger. Despite being smaller than his brother, there was no question who ran the yard, and who led the hens. If another rooster dared to square off with him, they would be run off. He even would run off my boxer dog if she got near his hens. Even at three months he was a proud roo with all the traits you hope for. I loved watching him patrol outside the coop when the sun went down. He has a full long crow too. This summer though #1 (his name) got sick. I think it was bronchitis but not sure. Since then he has gotten over it, but during that time he has lost his place in the pecking order. He went from being fearless to now being scared of everything. The other roosters chase him off, and he usually walks around alone. He waits until all the birds are roosting until he goes and eats. Whenever I touch or pick him up he screams at first then seems very skittish. The new dominant roo is #2 who does not seem to share the same traits #1 had. He does the typical rooster thing, but he seems to be more of a lover than a fighter. More of a goof ball. Can anybody tell me why this may have happened, and if it may change again? Thanks.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Welcome to BYC.
    It made me sad to read of your #1 roo's downfall. An alpha roo is a beautiful thing to observe IMO.
    Due to illness he's no longer in top form to be the protector of his flock, so nature dictated that he be replaced.
    If you want the former alpha to be #1 again, his only likely chance would come from being the only roo.

3. naked_heels

naked_heels Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    Des Moines, IA
    That's sad to hear, but I think it's time to pass down the crown.

4. loralei

loralei Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    New Caney, Texas
    I agree with gritsar. If he were the only roo he would likely regain his former "alphaness". Can you remove the other roos temporarily to test the theory? Perhaps once he gets his sexy back he will retain his status when you add the other roos back to the flock.

It is sad to hear. I hope #1 gets his groove back!

Laura

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by