1 Sick Chick, 1 Crooked Foot & 1 Wing Issue

Pics

Hudsonshoney

Chirping
Feb 18, 2019
Asheville, NC
Hi there,
I have three 5 week old chicks that are having some issues.
1. Onagadori chick that we noticed was no longer able to walk. We thought something was wrong with her legs and isolated her so she wouldn’t get trampled, but the legs look ok and she just seems too weak to stand. She is eating and drinking but is not getting any better.
2. Cream leg bar that looks to have developed a crooked foot. I read about foot braces, would it do any good to try to make her one at 5 weeks old?
3. Another cream leg bar that most of the time holds her wing feathers up. I can’t see anything wrong with the wing (but I also don’t know what I’m looking for) and she can hold it normally, but prefers to keep it this way. Should I tape it down?

Any input would be much appreciated! :( It looks to be a life or death situation for the first chick.

Attachments

• 6AA60294-8591-432C-A0C4-46DD4054AFDD.jpeg
    6AA60294-8591-432C-A0C4-46DD4054AFDD.jpeg
    541.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 3BACC437-9EE2-46E2-9CB2-526EAFBE7206.png
    3BACC437-9EE2-46E2-9CB2-526EAFBE7206.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 21
1. Onagadori chick that we noticed was no longer able to walk. We thought something was wrong with her legs and isolated her so she wouldn’t get trampled, but the legs look ok and she just seems too weak to stand. She is eating and drinking but is not getting any better.
What all and exactly how are you feeding?
Where did chicks come from....and how long have you had them?

Welcome to BYC...sorry you are having troubles.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-2-19_8-13-43.png

Welcome to BYC.
X2 on @aart 's questions also:

What size is the brooder and what temperature is it?
It looks fairly small and I'm wondering if they could be cramped and hurting each other.

Can you explain the foot issue a different way?

Hi, thank you for your response!

I’m in Asheville NC (will add to my account) and I have them in a brooder in my garage, with heat lamp. We moved the sick one into the house last night since she’s isolated and we only have one what lamp.

They are eating starter feed, I always keep the feeder full. Maybe 3 days ago I switched from an organic starter feed from tractor supply to MannaPro organic starter crumbles that I got at walmart. Other than that, I have sprinkled some parsley in there before, and offered a little dish of chick grit twice in the past 2 weeks.

We ordered them from feather lover farms website and have had them for 5 weeks, so some of them might be closer to 6 weeks now.

What all and exactly how are you feeding?
Where did chicks come from....and how long have you had them?

Welcome to BYC...sorry you are having troubles.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1678273

We have been keeping it around 70 degrees. I’m not exactly sure how large it is but we switched them to a larger one a few weeks ago (that one wing shot was older, she’s always held it like that).

Attached is a picture from last night so you can get an idea of size. It is also a close up of the foot.The toes are curling and one is in the wrong direction. We are able to straighten them out a little bit with force.

Welcome to BYC.
X2 on @aart 's questions also:

What size is the brooder and what temperature is it?
It looks fairly small and I'm wondering if they could be cramped and hurting each other.

Can you explain the foot issue a different way?

Attachments

• 5B031F19-CD2B-4987-8883-FD08C38B9413.jpeg
    5B031F19-CD2B-4987-8883-FD08C38B9413.jpeg
    457.5 KB · Views: 22
I have never heard if Feather farm...i will have to look them up.
6 weeks is quite old for added heat.
Can you measure the exact temp under the lamp.
Too hot causes issues.

What does their poop look like?

We have been keeping it around 70 degrees. I’m not exactly sure how large it is but we switched them to a larger one a few weeks ago (that one wing shot was older, she’s always held it like that).

Attached is a picture from last night so you can get an idea of size. It is also a close up of the foot.The toes are curling and one is in the wrong direction. We are able to straighten them out a little bit with force.
Looks like you might have gotten some chicks with "birth defects."

Welcome to BYC. I haven’t seen the wing feather problem before, even in my reading. The foot problem could be a vitamin/mineral deficiency, or possibly a leg bone deformity. So I would use some poultry vitamins or vitamin B complex, and check to see that the chick vitamins contain riboflavin—nutridrench does not. I prefer Poultry Cell by Rooster Booter, or 1/4 tablet of b complex crushed onto food daily. With a foot problem splinting may help making a chick shoe with tape or using pipe cleaners or popsicle sticks . Here is a link about chick shoes:
https://www.mypetchicken.com/backya...-toes-are-all-curled-up-whats-wrong-H293.aspx

Back
Top Bottom