1 Sick Hen- Lethargic, Pale Comb, *EDIT- Possibly liver problems?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CardinalChickens, Sep 27, 2011.

1. CardinalChickens

CardinalChickens Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    We have a flock of four, and one of the girls is clearly not well, our barred rock. Her symptoms are:

Lethargic
    Pale comb
    Eats and drinks, but very little and not robustly. She seems to be trying to "chew" the kernels in her feed, which obviously won't work
    If she isn't fed separately she isn't getting anything, she's just too slow right now. Normally, she's 2nd in the order.
    No sour smell, and her crop doesn't seem to be bulging

I was worried she was egg bound, so I took her inside and soaked her in the sink for a while and applied Vaseline to her vent (as she was lubed, I also took the oportunity to feel inside, and I met no resistance, but I am not at all sure I felt far enough up or did it right)

Observing her, I've seen her leave urine but not droppings, and no blood either way. I inspected her for mites and external parasites, and found none.

The other three hens all seem very healthy, so I don't think it's anything that's very communicable.

On the advice of our feed store, we put some probiotics in the feed and we're preparing to put ornacycline in the water, as he feels its a digestive tract issue.

Help![​IMG]

EDIT- My problem seems identical to the one here (minus the droppings description):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5695745

Her eyes are yellow, but I didn't think anything of that (pretty new to chickens, I guess I thought maybe that was a normal color?)

That's exactly what my chicken is looking like right now.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Unfortunately those symptoms can be for many illnesses. Is she in a heavy molt?
    Try to see if she'll eat some mush, feed mixed with water. I make mine on the runny side.

3. CardinalChickens

May 11, 2010
    They all appear to be in various stage of molting.

When I say lethargic I mean it takes her five to ten minutes to walk 20 feet, if she's feeling motivated. The other chickens are out running around and she's not even trying to keep up.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I've had a few in the last few years that I would swear they were on death's door, and it was a heavy molt. Seems like it took forever to get over. Mine right now stands off away from others, eats very little, pale, walks slow. I hope that's what it is

5. flashover1969

flashover1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    Check for mites again I should have said.

Sounds like something is making your hen anemic....might be internal parasites

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  6. CardinalChickens

May 11, 2010
    My problem seems identical to the one here (minus the droppings description):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5695745

Her eyes are yellow, but I didn't think anything of that (pretty new to chickens, I guess I thought maybe that was a normal color?)

That's exactly what my chicken is looking like right now.

7. CardinalChickens

May 11, 2010
    I'm worming the chickens, I have concern about her health being too poor for it (or if it's even the problem) but it appears to be the best next step.

8. babsdavies

babsdavies New Egg

Jun 25, 2013
    I have 2 surviving ex battery hens, I will have had them 2 years in July sadly 2 passed away last year. These seem to be very slow and one has a very pale face and pale comb, the other has yellow liquid poo.. I have had them backwards and forwards to the Vets and usually after the Baytroll and anti inflamatory injection they pick up for a week maybe 2 .. I'm so sad I going to lose them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by