1 st egg yesterday.....nothing today???

cjdmashley

Songster
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
Vermont
Once they have started laying will there be an egg everyday? I have 2 golden buffs that I believe are my layers (have 2 rir, 11 BR, 3 Buff O. & 2 wht. leghorn that should soon be following but are still too young) Yesterday I found my first egg and 2 more smashed on the floor under the perch......this morning....nothing...is this normal?? (I knew I should have taken a picture of that egg!!!)
he.gif

It is for me! I had my first egg and never found another 1 for 3 days. It takes awhile for their bodies to get the timing right. I would have had 11 yesterday but I found 3 under the roost. They were thin paper shelled eggs. I have several girls just coming into lay. I know it was 3 of them! Some times you will also get the papershelled eggs at first or even 1 with NO shell! I had 1 NO shell in the nest box last week! BUT they are all coming along nicely and it won't be long and I should be averaging 2 doz per day.

Congrats on the laying, Good Luck and God Bless!

It totally normal for them to waite a day or two to lay again. As for them laying while on the roost...being new layers...it will take a while for them to understand whats happening to thier bodies to know when to go lay in the box. I would just put an extra layer of shaveings down, to cushion the fall of the egg. Even my older gals will sometimes lay an egg from the roost.

I just got my first egg today and I'm glad I found this post! I'm still gonna check tomorrow
tongue.png
. I have 7 Golden Comets and I'm anxious to see how the young gals come along!

They are figuring it out. Two weeks ago I had two birds start laying, same day, BR and RIR. A few days later 3 more started to lay, and now I have 7 laying out of a flock of 16 birds, but not every day. They are just getting their egg machines fired up, and you will have soft shells, shell-less eggs, and some downright funky egg-like creations. I've had three shell-less eggs so far, 4 soft shelled, and maybe 6 double yolkers in two weeks.

I got my first egg last week. She has been given me one egg every other day, except one time 2 days in a row. The first two eggs were laid in the run, but the following eggs were in the nest box. I guess she finally figured it out the nest boxes are for her. I live in Texas and it has been about 102-105 degree the last few weeks, that may have affected her laying. If I were a hen, I wouldn't lay anything in this weather to save my life, lol.

Andy

I got 11 last night! YEAH!!!!! Yep, with this heat I figure i should avg. 18-20 a day as soon as it cools just a bit. It's so funny They have 16 nest boxes but only use the 2 lowest corner boxes. Mine are set up as 4 top/bottom right and 4 top/bottom left side of the coop. They lay 99% of them in the 2 outside bottom corner boxes on the west side of the coop. I had 6 in 1 and 5 in the other last night! I guess they figure if its good enough for 1 its good enough for them too! LOL

God Bless!

Back
Top Bottom