1 st egg yesterday.....nothing today???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cjdmashley, Aug 4, 2010.

1. cjdmashley

cjdmashley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Vermont
    Once they have started laying will there be an egg everyday? I have 2 golden buffs that I believe are my layers (have 2 rir, 11 BR, 3 Buff O. & 2 wht. leghorn that should soon be following but are still too young) Yesterday I found my first egg and 2 more smashed on the floor under the perch......this morning....nothing...is this normal?? (I knew I should have taken a picture of that egg!!!) [​IMG]

2. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    It is for me! I had my first egg and never found another 1 for 3 days. It takes awhile for their bodies to get the timing right. I would have had 11 yesterday but I found 3 under the roost. They were thin paper shelled eggs. I have several girls just coming into lay. I know it was 3 of them! Some times you will also get the papershelled eggs at first or even 1 with NO shell! I had 1 NO shell in the nest box last week! BUT they are all coming along nicely and it won't be long and I should be averaging 2 doz per day.

Congrats on the laying, Good Luck and God Bless!

3. cjdmashley

Jul 29, 2010
    Vermont
    thanks for the info...guess I have a little longer to be patient [​IMG] (not one of my stronger points) [​IMG]

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

It totally normal for them to waite a day or two to lay again. As for them laying while on the roost...being new layers...it will take a while for them to understand whats happening to thier bodies to know when to go lay in the box. I would just put an extra layer of shaveings down, to cushion the fall of the egg. Even my older gals will sometimes lay an egg from the roost.

5. OrloffTom

OrloffTom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    NC
    I just got my first egg today and I'm glad I found this post! I'm still gonna check tomorrow [​IMG]. I have 7 Golden Comets and I'm anxious to see how the young gals come along!

6. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    They are figuring it out. Two weeks ago I had two birds start laying, same day, BR and RIR. A few days later 3 more started to lay, and now I have 7 laying out of a flock of 16 birds, but not every day. They are just getting their egg machines fired up, and you will have soft shells, shell-less eggs, and some downright funky egg-like creations. I've had three shell-less eggs so far, 4 soft shelled, and maybe 6 double yolkers in two weeks.

7. Chickenfarmer 1-2-b

Chickenfarmer 1-2-b Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    I got my first egg last week. She has been given me one egg every other day, except one time 2 days in a row. The first two eggs were laid in the run, but the following eggs were in the nest box. I guess she finally figured it out the nest boxes are for her. I live in Texas and it has been about 102-105 degree the last few weeks, that may have affected her laying. If I were a hen, I wouldn't lay anything in this weather to save my life, lol.

Andy

8. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    I got 11 last night! YEAH!!!!! Yep, with this heat I figure i should avg. 18-20 a day as soon as it cools just a bit. It's so funny They have 16 nest boxes but only use the 2 lowest corner boxes. Mine are set up as 4 top/bottom right and 4 top/bottom left side of the coop. They lay 99% of them in the 2 outside bottom corner boxes on the west side of the coop. I had 6 in 1 and 5 in the other last night! I guess they figure if its good enough for 1 its good enough for them too! LOL

God Bless!

9. cjdmashley

Jul 29, 2010
    Vermont
    just got another one this morning and took pics...now I can't figure out how to post them

10. cjdmashley

Jul 29, 2010
    Vermont
    Quote:[​IMG]

VICTORY!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by