1" vs 2" x 4" hardware cloth

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stcroixusvi, Jun 7, 2011.

1. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    We are getting ready to order hardware cloth for the run and can't seem to find 1" anywhere. Plenty of 1/2". Some of the photos I see on BYC are the 2 x 4 inch cloth. Is this sufficient?

2. budda

budda Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Atlanta GA
    I am just finishing our new coop / run and i used 1/2 for the bottom 3 feet and 1.5 square inch for the upper remainder. i used the smaller stuff on the bottom to keep small critters out and the larger stuff up high just because i did not foresee any issues with small critters going that high. in addition, 1.5 inch is large enough that if their head pops through, it can go right back through without it getting stuck like i have had problems with in the past using 1 inch.

good luck

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Use half inch thats what I use [​IMG]

4. budda

budda Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Atlanta GA
    here you go...

[​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Be aware that it's usually only called "hardware cloth" at the 1/4x1/4" and 1/2x1/2" sizes. Anything larger, even 1/2x1", is generally called "welded wire mesh" or something similar; the smaller part of that range can also be called "cage wire" (up to, like, 1x2"-ish).

If a store does not have the size mesh you want to use, ASK. A lot of times they can order it for you, as long as you want a full roll or more. Don't forget to ask at feedstores too, not just hardware stores.

What size you want to use depends on what your goal is. GOOD QUALITY heavy gauge 2x4" wire will keep dogs and raccoons and other large animals from going thru it, but will admit weasels, minks, smaller skunks, baby coons/possums, and the ARMS of adult raccoons; it also lets chicken heads out and chicks can pop thru it.

If you use 2x4" wire, it'd be wise to put something smaller mesh along the lower portion of the fence and anywhere else within raccoon's-reach of a chicken, and shut the chickens in a secure coop at night.

Smaller mesh e.g. 1x1" welded wire will admit only the smallest weasels and raccoon arms (and banty chicks can pop out); personally I'd want the chickens shut indoors at night if the run was that size mesh, and if reach-thru seemed likely would also add something smaller mesh along the bottom portion of the fence.

It just depends on what you're trying to achieve and how much you're willing to spend to achieve it. Do beware of flimsy yard-and-garden-grade fencing which is too thin and too poorly welded to stand up to assault by hungry animals.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Thanks for all the suggestions. We will lock our chickens up at night. We intend to have a large run - 10 x 30, and we live in the woods with lots of hungry predators, so want to go with the 1". I will ask the stores as I have yet to see 1" out in the aisles.

7. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    As noted by Patandchickens above, do not be trying to buy "hardware cloth" in that dimension. Ask for welded wire mesh. Hog wire is good for large predators, but a walk through for
    smaller ones unless you back it with hardware cloth or welded wire mesh. Also note that 1 x 1" wire mesh is probably not as strong as 1/2 x 1/2" hardware cloth.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  8. We've gone 1/2 inch all the way around. Critters can climb and go in through the top. Unlikely during the day, of course. But, imo, I'd rather have Ft. Knox than learn the hard way that there was a weakness somewhere. 1/2 inch still allows you to see in, but nothing can poke out. I figure if my chickies can poke something out, something can go in and grab a handful. We try to think along the lines of better safe than sorry, or not for the lack of trying. Fwiw; ymmv. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by