1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

1 week old baby chick possibly sick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ivyblaze, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Ivyblaze

Ivyblaze Chirping

Jul 26, 2010
    one of my 1 week old pullets is not acting right. She is standing and the best I can describe it is gasping for air through her mouth?? She is not isolating herself from the rest and calls for help from them when she is removed. Is she sick? Is this something that will pass on it's own?? she is still active but I am worried...I have no idea what to do for her.

Thanks

2. Ivyblaze

Ivyblaze Chirping

Jul 26, 2010
    Wow not a single response! makes me sad [​IMG]

3. Jstall

Jstall In the Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Gary, Texas
    Did you have your chicks vaccinated? It sounds like she is having a reaction to the vaccine.

4. Ivyblaze

Ivyblaze Chirping

Jul 26, 2010
    Quote:Yes I had them vaccinated because everyone has told me that is important to have done....if she is having a reaction what do I do?
    Thank you for responding

5. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Songster

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    until someone comes with better advice keep her warm and full of fluids.

6. Ivyblaze

Ivyblaze Chirping

Jul 26, 2010
    Quote:I sat vigil with her all day yesterday and lastnight feeding her water with electrolytes in it by dropper...she did eat a little feed lastnight so I'm still hoping at least she is still hanging in there...

7. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Songster

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    im not finding anything, maybe try calling the hatchery you got them from or vet?

8. Ivyblaze

Ivyblaze Chirping

Jul 26, 2010
    Quote:Just gave her a tiny bit of Tylan she seems to be improving little by little...gave her a tiny bit of penicilan last night very tiny amount so I'm crossing my fingers

9. Denninmi

Denninmi Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    There isn't a lot different you can do -- keep her warm, give her fluids with electrolytes, maybe some sugar water for energy, and antibiotics and hope for the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by