1 week old Barred Rock with one eye that won't open

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by agirly4chicks, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    I am thinking that this might be the runt if that is even so with chickens. Her left eye will not open. If you put your hand right beside her she doesn't even move.

Should I try to very carefully open it with my finger or let it be a one eyed chick?

Angie

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you mean the tissue is grown together or that she has crust sticking two lids together?

I would never force lids open on an animal of any species- the chance of serious damage is too great. But if you think it might be two lids stuck together, put her on your lap atop a towel, and gently drop clean water on the lid (eyedropper would be ideal but the corner of a clean face cloth will do), always being sure to catch excess under her beak so she doesn't get wet and chilled. If it's simply stuck, it will eventually come free. You may have to do this several times. Some folks will say to use eye drops, but so many things are added to them that I would never risk it. You might feel more comfortable having someone hold the chick for you as you do this. It takes a little experience to manage everything at once! Please let us know how she is doing. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  3. agirly4chicks

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    Thank you so much. Her eye s not crusty looking but to be honest I am not sure it her eye was always shut or if this is a new thing.

We just cleaned her behind so I am going to let her recover from that first before I try the water trick. Should the water be a tap warm?

Angie

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Warm but not hot, Angie- hi!

Her body temp is higher than ours so warm is best.
    I think you would have noticed if she had had a closed eye before...this treatment will not hurt her, worth a try. Be prepared to repeat if not successful first time.

If her bottom was dirty she might be a little stressed, any signs of being cold or of being ill? Might be a good idea to separate her until you're sure she isn't sick. The extra handling will be a bonus when she's older and you can see exactly what's going on. Keep her warm!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  5. agirly4chicks

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    Quote:I took her to the vet this mornign and they said it was Conjunctivitis. Gave me some drops and was told to come back in a week.

Thanks for your help!

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by