1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 week old chick breed??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MorganAH, Feb 23, 2015.

1. MorganAH

MorganAH Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2014
    Anyone have any idea what kinda chick this is? I asked for a Welsummer & Light Brahma and got this one instead of the Brahma. I'm thinking Americauna?? She is about a week old, and is tiny.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RileyCalanchini

RileyCalanchini Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    California
    It looks like an Americauna. My Americauna chick's looked like that!

3. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    It could be an easter egger, but its really too early to tell

4. RileyCalanchini

RileyCalanchini Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    California
    I agree with that too. It is a little to early!

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    A number of breeds have chipmunk chicks.

Not likely an EE as yellow legs and no beard or muff.

It could very well be Welsummer, as that breed has a chipmunk chick, about that coloring, but may be male as the head marking is very diffuse, although the eyeliner is crisp.

Not sure how tiny you mean...it could possibly be bantam or a game.

Wait and watch. If it continues to get partridge coloring on wings/back with a salmon chest, you've got a Welsummer girl most likely. If black chest comes in, you've got male Welsummer.

Show pictures as it feathers.

You can see Welsummers here: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Wels/BRKWelsummers.html

Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    There are many breeds with chipmunk patterned chicks. Is it a bantam or LF? What kind of comb? What color legs? (Lady of McCamley sees yellow, but they look white on my screen.) That may help narrow down some of the options. EEs, Welsummers, speckled Sussex, brown Leghorns, certain varieties of Rocks, Wyandottes, Phoenix and old English games can all come in that pattern.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  7. MorganAH

Dec 16, 2014
    Thanks for all the responses! Looks like she has a single comb with light yellow legs. I'm not sure if she's bantam or LF. I'm putting a picture of her with the Welsummer (should be a Welsummer) who are both supposed to be the same age. The one I'm asking about is on the right. And feel free to let me know if my Welsummer is not a Welsummer, lol.
    [​IMG]

8. MorganAH

Dec 16, 2014
    I just called the place I got her from and they think she may be a Brown Leghorn... I know nothing about them so I'll have to look them up.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She could definitely be a Light Brown Leghorn. You'll know better when she feathers in more.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by