1 week old chick - crop issues and starving?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CountryMamma, Aug 14, 2013.

1. CountryMamma

CountryMamma New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    New Jersey
    I have 17 baby chicks - received 1 week ago today. All are in great shape except for 1 black australorp. Two days ago we could see a large 'bubble' or cyst like swelling on her chest. After a lot of reading, we came to the conclusion that it was a slow crop issue. We separated her from the flock. We tried to give some olive oil and we did remove the blockage by emptying the crop (massaging upwards to induce vomit). Looks like she may have had a piece or two of pine shavings (?) and a lot of white foam. She seemed OK for the next day... but last evening noticed that she won't lay down - only sleeps standing up, is very wobbly, and isn't opening her eyes much, and I have only seen 1 very small poop. Today we cannot get her to eat anything (tried yogurt, tried olive oil soaked starter feed, tried oatmeal) and she isn't opening her eyes. She is very tiny (basically the same size as when we got her a week ago when all others have nearly doubled in size).

No other symptoms (no sneezing, gagging, discharge from anywhere, etc)

Seems like she is starving and/or dehydrated.

Any suggestions?

We don't want her to suffer and will cull her if necessary...but hope we won't have to.

2. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    You could try giving her some electrolyte s or some chick saver. You may have to use an eye dropper or syringe to rehydrate her. Just be careful to take it slow and give her time to swallow .
    A little soft scrambled egg with some Greek yoghurt may entice her to eat.

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Try adding warm water to feed,so it resembles oatmeal,chicks love this and is easier for frail ones to eat. Has she been eating anything other than chick feed? Does she have pasty butt? Watch for Coccidiosis,some symptoms are runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which of the 9 strains it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking properly,weight loss.

4. CountryMamma

CountryMamma New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    New Jersey
    Thank you. We'll try the water to the chick feed and see if she'll eat some.

I checked - no pasty butt

Runny/watery poop -- really no poop at all in past 12 hrs. last one was small but normal looking.

Fluffed feathers - no

Lethargic,not eating/drinking properly,weight loss -- yes

These are our first chicks... so i am new to all of this and am of course really sad that she is having such a hard time.

Wonder if I should try treatment for it just in case? None of the other 16 chicks show any sign of issues at all.

5. CherishHolland

CherishHolland Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    Does the crop feel hard or soft and puffy kind of liquid filled?

ETA Are you using small pine shavings or large?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  6. CountryMamma

CountryMamma New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    New Jersey
    We are using small pine shavings.

The crop was large and inflated, like a ballon. It was soft and felt liquid filled. However, that was before I forced it to empty. Then it was back to regular size but I still think it is sort of soft.

7. CherishHolland

CherishHolland Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
  8. CountryMamma

CountryMamma New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    New Jersey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by