1 Week old chick dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jean67, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Jean67

Jean67 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2015
    Hi, I just got my first chicks a few days ago. They are about a week old. Yesterday one of the chicks was acting lethargic, not eating and drinking as well as the others and had a little bit of a pasty butt. This morning he was seeming a little worse so he was seperated from the rest and given a little bit of sugar water and ate a few bites of food. He started having really watery white poops and standing completely still staring at the floor. I started calling around to find corid to treat for coccidiosis but by the time I got home with it he was dead. I'm wondering if I should treat the rest of them with the corid in case they have it or if I should wait to see if any of them show any symptoms?

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I think you should feed them all medicated chick feed and add a little apple cider vinegar to their water. Keep a eye on any paste butts and soak bottoms in warm water to clean gently. Sorry for your lose.

3. Jean67

Mar 7, 2015
    I started them all on a preventative dose of corid last night. A couple of the others have a little bit of a pasty butt but otherwise seem good. They are active, eating & drinking so hopefully we will not lose any more.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If the chicks were newly hatched, less than a week old, then the chick was probably suffering from shipping stress, even if it came from a feed store. They can get chilled, or overheated in hot weather, and become dehydrated. Pasty butt usually goes away after the first week of keeping the vent clean, but it happens due to dehydration. Always use some vitamin electrolyte mixture in the water for a day or two, and dip their beaks into the mixture when you first get them. Sugar water, Gatorade or Pedialyte can be a substitute.

5. Jean67

Mar 7, 2015
    Would you recommend stopping the corid for the other chicks then?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    No. Continue giving the corid to the chicks. Cocci are passed in feces and can be picked up by the others. Dont add anything into the corid/water mixture...including apple cider vinegar. Hopefully it's not cocci but only shipping stress like Eggcessive mentioned. The corid wont harm them.

7. Jean67

Mar 7, 2015
    Ok. Thank you. All the rest are still very active and eating and drinking so hopefully they'll be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by